We’re looking for a VP of Engineering to lead our growing engineering team. In this role you will be responsible for providing technical input to product decisions, the execution and implementation of the company's overall technology vision, creating the proper organizational structure and processes to drive a high performing engineering team, and attracting, hiring, and retaining world-class team members.
- You are a smart and engaging person with the ability to bridge technology with business acumen.
- You have the maturity and skill that comes with practical, hands-on technical and managerial experience.
- You understand the importance of balancing technical investment/debt with delivery.
- You have the confidence to express your opinions, but the humility to listen to and learn from the experience of others.
- You like working closely with others and thrive in a team setting.
- You have a positive attitude and are interested in challenging and growing yourself as a part of a great team.
- You are able to clearly communicate ideas and direction.
- You have a “Yes, and…” attitude.
- You get satisfaction from helping others to grow and helping them to succeed.
Had you been with us in the last month, you would have:
- Huddled up with your teammates to figure out the best way to tackle a user story from one of our project sprints.
- Lead of a team of developers and designers for one or more of our project sprints.
- Come into the office and been pleasantly surprised by the presence of donuts (at least once).
- Collaborated with other members of our product team to shape our product roadmap.
- Participated in a project scoping discussion with key stakeholders.
- Helped write the user stories that define the scope of work for a project sprint.
- Used your experience to help our team estimate story size and that the work scoped for a project sprint is reasonable for that amount of time.
- Reviewed PRs from your teammates for correctness, quality, and readability.
- Attended a retrospective and brainstormed solutions to problems in our development process and then worked with the team to implement them.
- Conducted your monthly 1-1 with each engineering team member.
- Mentored a team member and helped them to grow.
- Developed a hiring and staffing plan to meet the business's needs as we grow.
- Led the recruiting process for potential future teammates.
- Developed and maintained relationships with our various vendors.
- Traveled to meet with our network partners.
- Worked to strengthen and reinforce a positive and inclusive culture.
- Gone to our annual company retreat at Camp Wandawega.
What We Expect
- Previous senior leadership roles in product or application development and engineering for high growth companies
- 4+ years of experience with at least one of the following in a production environment: Ruby on Rails, Node.js, Ember.js
- Experience with agile development methodologies.
- The ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical team members and stakeholders.
- A genuine interest in getting to know your teammates and authentic desire to build something worth sharing with them.
- These expectations are a guide; apply and tell us why you’d be great here even if you don’t meet them all!
Why You Should Work Here:
- Talented teammates + access to the Y-Combinator network
- Flexible work hours and vacation
- Subsidized health care (for you + dependents)
- Nutritious & delicious lunches catered everyday
- Fully stocked pantry with snacks, coffee, tea, and more
- A fresh laptop, noise-cancelling headphones, & a motorized sit/stand desk
- An amazing office in the West Loop with an inspiring view of the Chicago skyline
- 2 weeks of paid leave and $1,750 towards any experience after 2 years
- An 8 week sabbatical after 5 years