Job type: Full-time
Role: Software Developer
Experience level: Mid-Level, Senior
Industry: Cryptocurrency, Cybersecurity, Network Security, Blockchain
Company size: 11-50 people
Company type: Private Technologies
Location: San Diego, CA, San Juan, Puerto Rico, Tokyo, Japan or Remote
Join the Swarm
At Swarm Technologies, Inc, we're developing innovative solutions to age-old information security problems - and we need your help.
At it's core, PolySwarm is market design enabled by Ethereum smart contracts. We are (literally) programming a market that will produce crowdsourced threat intelligence (malware detection today, more tomorrow).
** Blockchain experience not required! **
We're operating in a very new industry and we're prepared to bring candidates up to speed! Few sectors are hot as blockchain right now - talk about professional growth :)
No one has done this before. We'll get things wrong - and that's okay! With your help, we'll get fewer things wrong, identify mistakes earlier and improve processes to prevent future missteps.
You're in on the ground floor - you'll have a say in what we do and how we do it. By joining Swarm Technologies, you'll be joining a dynamic team on the bleeding edge of information (computer) security and blockchain - answering questions few have thought to ask.
If you're interested in any of:
- technical challenges that cannot be solved via iteration
- blockchain (Ethereum smart contracts in particular)
- information security
- malware reverse engineering
- market design (a la Who Gets What and Why by Alvin Roth)
- unknown unknowns
... then we're interested in you.
The Ideal Candidate Is...
- independently motivated & self-directing
- introspective: able to identify weak spots / problem areas our existing processes or code and suggest / implement solutions
- takes an interest in information security topics - huge props for capture the flag (CTF) participation!
At Swarm Technologies, you'll tackle both big-picture and tactical problems, the following are a few examples.
Example Big-Picture Problems
The Ethereum block time leaves a lot to be desired for a marketplace that intends to supplant millions of malware scans a day.
How do we best reconcile millions of scans daily with a 15 second block time and today's block size limits?
In sum: PolySwarm must scale and must support scanning artifacts (files) that may contain confidential information. How do we best reconcile these needs with a default-public, Proof-of-Work Ethereum ecosystem?
Example Tactical Problem
PolySwarm is a twist on a prediction market - where security experts attempt to "predict" whether a file / URL or network traffic is malicious or benign. Alongside their prediction ("assertion"), experts "stake" a configurable amount of Nectar (NCT), PolySwarm's crypto token.
Suppose Expert A is lazy and Expert B is a hardworking, upstanding security expert. It would be bad if Expert A was able to simply duplicate the assertions coming from Expert B, exploiting Expert B's hard work for profit. If assertions are placed directly on the public Ethereum blockchain, Expert A can do exactly that.
How can we design a system that keeps the assertion secret (so Expert B is out of luck) until some configured time, after which assertions are revealed and payouts distributed appropriately?
Technologies Used at PolySwarm
PolySwarm employs the following tools & languages:
- Docker (+ Swarm, Services, Stack)
Refer to our GitHub for examples of our usage: https://github.com/polyswarm
The ideal candidate possesses demonstrable experience in some or all of these technologies.
- Competitive salaries
- Excellent health, dental, vision coverage
- Unlimited* paid vacation days
- Travel (if you like). We have offices in San Diego, Puerto Rico and Tokyo and we often find ourselves travelling elsewhere. If travel interests you, we can scratch that itch.
- Flexible work hours - outside of scheduled meetings, we don't care *when* you work, we care about your output.
- Powerful servers, laptops, desktops - whatever you need to be most productive!
*Within reason! We avoid arbitrary numbers for vacation allotments. Take what you need, don't abuse it. As a start-up, we may ask that you avoid vacation for crunch times.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.