Reporting to the CFO, Playground’s VC Fund Controller has a broad set of responsibilities with
substantial opportunity for growth.
Who we are.
Playground is an early-stage investment firm founded by entrepreneurs who have conceived, built and scaled successful tech companies. We use our vision and in-depth understanding of technology to help build companies that have multi-generational impact. We have a bench strength of deep technical, design and operational knowledge that seeds ideas and provides expert advice to our portfolio. All this is housed in a community built around our 80,000 square foot studio in Palo Alto with five world-class laboratories and first-rate culinary program. We currently have $800M assets under management and 45+ portfolio companies.
Who you are.
- You have a hands-on working style with an entrepreneurial can-do approach. You love learning and you’ve expanded your skillset to include:
- Strong knowledge of fund accounting as a result of your 4 – 8 years’ experience that includes working at a Big 4 Accounting firm in the Fund Management practice. You’ve proved your knowledge by getting your CPA.
- You use accounting systems to be more efficient and effective. You are experienced using Enterprise Software and ideally, you are familiar with Investran, or other private equity software.
- You love Excel! Not only are you skilled in financial modelling but you also use excel to help non-financial people “see” the data.
- You have experience with working in a small team, but you have the communication skills and approach to make an impact at the senior level of an organization.
What you’ll do.
- Core Responsibilities – Your primary responsibility will be accounting, reporting and internal controls on Playground’s four Funds.
- Monitor and record fund transactions including:
- Management of receivables and payables
- Assisting with forecasting of liquidity requirements
- Capital call and distribution calculations and notices
- Ensure robust controls around cash movements
- Coordinate with the investment team to value our investments for financial reporting
purposes. Prepare valuation models to support in adherence with AICPA guide "Valuation of Portfolio Company Investments …”.
- Prepare quarterly and annual financial statements for the Funds
- Prepare workpapers and provide supporting documentation for income tax returns and K-1
- Responsible for compliance with regulatory requirements including FATCA and FINRA
- Be the primary liaison with Auditors and Tax Professionals
- Drive the regular collection of information from our portfolio companies, aggregating it and providing useful information to the investment team
- Create, improve and implement practical, effective processes
- Develop additional reports, dashboards, etc. to help investment team and others “see” the data
- Understand the tax implications of our activities and develop robust tax strategies to optimize returns under the current regulatory environment
- Support for fundraising
- Contribute to developing Playground’s Portfolio Company Knowledge Base
- And whatever else helps make an impact