Overview of Playground
is a venture firm that partners with entrepreneurs working at the intersection of atoms, bits, and AI to build the companies of tomorrow. Playground was founded by Andy Rubin (Creator of Android) along with Bruce Leak (created Quicktime@Apple), Matt Hershenson (co-founder of Danger) & Peter Barrett (pioneered video compression software). We are operating in an 80,000 sqft warehouse sitting alongside some of our portfolio companies where entrepreneurial teams are makers and inventors of physical products and emerging technology.
Title: Investment Associate, Playground Ventures
Location: Palo Alto, CA
We are looking for an Investment Associate to join our venture team. We run one of the leanest venture teams around, and as an associate, you will be key in driving our investment efforts. We expect you to be comfortable interfacing regularly with key stakeholders (internally and externally). You’ll be responsible for a wide range of activities, including researching and forming investment theses, finding early stage investment opportunities, leading meetings, driving our internal investment process, supporting our existing portfolio companies, and representing the firm within the broad startup ecosystem.
Our ideal candidate has a demonstrated passion for technology and investing, and is able to quickly form a strong, informed opinion on novel technologies or business models. You must feel comfortable performing conducting due diligence, sourcing investment opportunities, and have some fluency in legal agreements.
- Proactive, Self-starter, independent but also a team player.
- Curious appetite especially for the deep tech sector
- Data-oriented and analytical thinker
- Strong communication (articulate, persuasive, and ability to have hard conversations) skills
- Passion for entrepreneurship and have a creative networking approach
- Proficient in presenting data-driven and qualitative analysis, valuation techniques and financial modeling with an understanding of market dynamics.
- 1-3 years of experience in consulting and/or start-up operating experience
- Strong existing network in the Bay Area startup ecosystem
- Experience working early-stage start-up companies