What is Plastiq?
Plastiq is billpay with benefits.
Everyday payments have become second nature: we swipe a card, tap a button, or press submit. But many of our most important bills — a child's care or tuition, critical business expenses, or taxes and rent — haven't caught up. Billions of checks are still written today. Wire transfers can be confusing. Payments are slow, late, or even unaccounted for.
We set out to pursue these challenges.
Our mission? To make bill payment simple and seamless. Plastiq lets you pay bills in the way that works best for you. We hope you love the service.
Role At A Glance
We are seeking a superstar Senior Data Engineer to join our Engineering Team and take ownership of our entire data and analytics platform. You are sharp, results-oriented, knowledgeable, ambitious, and resolved, taking pride and ownership in everything the team builds.
Why this role is awesome
Plastiq is a data-driven organization - data is at the core of our business, providing insights into the effectiveness of our teams and our products, driving our decision-making as a company.
- You will take ownership of our entire data pipeline and analytics platform and help build, optimize and evolve it to support our growth in 2019 and beyond.
- You will be the Data Guru of Plastiq.
- You will be one of the key leaders guiding the growth of Plastiq's engineering team.
- You get to work with a fun, supportive, and high energy team that takes pride in building exceptional software.
Our Data Stack
At Plastiq we have incrementally built our current internal data and analytics platform (as a startup we had to be scrappy) - we have MySQL databases for our production OLTP systems, a partially de-normalized MySQL database fed via ETL process for Risk/Compliance and an AWS RedShift database fed via Fivetran that serves as our data warehouse. Our teams use a number of tools (Mode Analytics, Periscope) to generate reporting off of these data stores.
We are looking to make a substantial investment in our data stack and pipelines to support our thirst for data and analytics as our company grows in 2019. As our first dedicated Data Engineer at Plastiq, you will be responsible for taking our current data and analytics platform to the next level. This role will work closely with our rapidly-expanding Data Science team, the key users of this platform.
- 5+ years of hands-on technical experience in a data engineer role.
- 8+ years of experience with schema design and dimensional data modeling.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience (MySQL, Oracle, AWS Redshift, Hive, etc) is required, No-SQL experience is a plus;
- Advanced experience building and optimizing ‘big data’ data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- Experience with modern BI tools (Periscope, Looker, Tableau, etc.).
- Experience with the AWS Ecosystem, especially Kinesis, EMR, Lambda and Glue.
- Experience with big data technologies such as Spark, Hadoop, Hive, Kafka, etc.
- Proficiency in distributed stream processing technologies such as Flink, Spark Streaming and/or Kafka Streams.
- Work with analysts and data scientists to Identify, design, and implement internal process and standards improvements: standardized tools, automating processes, optimizing data delivery, etc.
- Design infrastructure and systems to scale easily as data grows.
- Design, develop, and implement optimal and secure data pipeline at scale sourced from a wide variety of data sources.
- Perform database management and optimization for our MySQL and Redshift Databases.
- Implement comprehensive unit-tests and production monitoring to verify high quality and detect data quality issues quickly.
- Be self-driven, understand the data we have and its scale, and provide data solutions to all of our challenges.
Plastiq is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.