A clear customer-focus is the key to our success—PlanGrid tackles important problems for construction projects in simple and novel ways. We’re eager to hire our next researcher, who will drive our R&D team to better research questions, stronger customer insights, and an ever-more effective and useful product.
Construction is a complex, modular, and physical industry that shapes the world around us. On any given built-world project there are managers, contractors, laborers, engineers, designers, inspectors, and more who all need to coordinate and collaborate to complete the job at hand. It’s a complex domain and our research team is the translator-guides that ensure our success.
As a researcher at PlanGrid, you help our team ask the right questions, and bring them along in discovering practical, actionable, and insightful answers. This means a blend of discovery, generative research, fast-cycle concept testing, and usability evaluation. You have a passion for field research and want to get down into the (almost-literal) nuts and bolts of how construction works.
Working closely with designers, product managers, and engineers, you’ll advocate for our users’ work and blend their needs with those of a complex enterprise business. The team you’re joining is eager for a strong research partner.
- Embed in a product team to identify and lead projects that inform product and UX strategy
- Evaluate prototypes and live product in iterative development
- Create behavioral models, uncover workflows, define jobs to be done, pain points, and opportunities through field investigation
- Bring qualitative meaning to quantitative insights through partnership with our data team
- Build deep customer understanding across design, product, sales, support and beyond
- 5+ years industry experience
- Degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Sociology, Psychology, Design, or equivalent experience
- Experience running iterative testing embedded in a cross-functional team
- Experience leading research initiatives that inform product & design direction
- Self-motivated, autonomous, adept at navigating ambiguity; you set your schedule and drive it forward
- Research methods: interviews, contextual inquiry, usability testing, card sorting, diary studies, unmoderated studies, remote studies—identify and employ what’s best suited for the project at hand
- Communication skills: fluent use of scenarios and storytelling, frameworks, journey maps, personas
- Visualization: help make user journeys and outcomes visible, tangible and compelling to the team
- Experience managing research operations, e.g. participant scheduling, research lab, processes, incentives, tools
- A passion for teaching others how to do effective user research
- Advocate for experimentation and lean testing
- Experience in service design methods and workshop facilitation
- Located in San Francisco’s Mission District just one block from BART, among local shops, bars, and restaurants
- Clipper Cards (for public transportation) funded by PlanGrid
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage for full-time employees and dependents
- Flexible vacation
- Construction site tours of the biggest projects in San Francisco using PlanGrid
- Volunteer time off: We encourage employees to give back to our local communities. We organize volunteer days and have worked with organizations such as Glide, SF/Marin Food Bank, Muttville, Family Dog Rescue, and Bryant Elementary School (as part of PlanGrid’s commitment with Circle the Schools).
- Dog-friendly office
- Catered lunches
- We provide paid parental leave for both parents
PlanGrid is the leader in construction productivity software. Used on more than 1 million projects around the world, PlanGrid's value extends over numerous phases of construction, building a massive and accurate history of every jobsite through everyday use that creates a data-rich record set at turnover that is essential to long-term operations.
PlanGrid is the first construction productivity software that allows contractors and owners in commercial, heavy civil, and other industries to collaborate easily from their mobile devices and desktop. PlanGrid is used in more than 79 countries by thousands of customers including DPR, Granite, NVIDIA, Target Corporation, and Tutor Perini. PlanGrid was a member of Y Combinator’s 2012 Winter Class, and has secured over $69 million in funding from Sequoia, Tenaya Capital Founders Fund, GV, 500 Startups, Box, Northgate, and Spectrum 28.
PlanGrid is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information