At Hoodline, we are committed to creating informative, high-quality, and engaging content from a local perspective. We believe that much of the most exciting and important news—local stories that deepen readers’ connection to their own communities—is today left untold. We see an opportunity to fill this gap using data.
We’re building a team of journalists and engineers who can bring together the best of both cultures to address the unparalleled challenges faced by the local news industry. We’re assembling, transforming, and analyzing data for newsworthy insights, and turning insights into articles designed to engage and inform local communities across a broad range of topics. Through our newswire service, we make these stories available to distributors, reaching a nationwide audience across a range of different sites and apps.
Our team has years of success in consumer tech, online and local media. We are growing quickly and looking for someone brilliant, enthusiastic, and experienced to take the lead. Come help us tell the stories of the world’s neighborhoods!
About the position
Hoodline is seeking an experienced data journalist with a passion for using data to create informative, high-quality stories, an interest in how automation can help scale the reach of local news and information, and a desire to help design the future of data-driven local news and information.
- Design and develop templatized news stories driven by data. Identify newsworthy angles and potential insights within available and potential datasets, working with editors and data scientists to move beyond simplistic story structures towards analyzing aggregate local trends (e.g. comparing growth in wages to costs of living, homicide rates to unemployment, etc.).
- Become an expert in our template design platform, using sophisticated template structure and logic to create and iterate upon a strong narrative structure to underpin given story angle
- Identify and develop static and interactive data visualizations to best highlight the information presented in a given story.
- Rigorously test and evaluate potential story ideas through writing, publishing, and iterating on variations of a story idea. Support editorial processes for content publication and distribution, responding to feedback and identifying areas of improvement to continuously elevate our content and its value to local publishers and communities.
- Contribute to the conceptualization and design of the evolving architecture behind our automated stories, identifying ways to improve the integration of data and insights, and increase the variability, uniqueness, timeliness and relevance of of our local content.
- Support the advancement and continuous refinement of measurable objectives for data-driven editorial content, helping to integrate journalistic principles of quality, accuracy, and integrity into an algorithmic product within a tech-minded startup seeking to define a new business model to meet the challenges — and opportunities — of local news.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably from a journalism school
- Minimum two years experience in a newsroom, preferably as a data journalist
- Strong data analysis skills, experience working with datasets and extracting insights from data to trigger, shape, and write news stories
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; experience working across teams and functional specialties
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, identify creative solutions and design simple yet effective approaches to achieve complex objectives
Desired Skills and Experience
- Demonstrable experience in data journalism, digital media, and/or information science
- Experience analyzing and telling stories with data, as well as writing and reporting out news stories
- Familiarity with the conventions of AP style
- Experience with databases and statistical programming/tools, e.g. SQL, R, Python
- Open-minded, forward-thinking attitude, and enthusiasm for what comes next in data-driven journalism
What We Offer
- Competitive compensation and generous benefits, with potential for growth
- Strong startup culture with catered lunches, dog-friendly office, casual dress code, happy hours, and more
- Conveniently located office in San Francisco’s Mission District.