At Hoodline, we are committed to creating informative, high-quality, and engaging content from a local perspective. We believe that much of the most exciting and important news—local stories that deepen readers’ connection to their own communities—is today left untold. We see an opportunity to fill this gap using data.
We’re building a team of journalists and engineers who can bring together the best of both cultures to address the unparalleled challenges faced by the local news industry. We’re assembling, transforming, and analyzing data for newsworthy insights, and turning insights into articles designed to engage and inform local communities across a broad range of topics. Through our newswire service, we make these stories available to distributors, reaching a nationwide audience across a range of different sites and apps.
Our team has years of success in consumer tech, online and local media. We are growing quickly and looking for someone brilliant, enthusiastic, and experienced to take the lead. Come help us tell the stories of the world’s neighborhoods!
About the position
Hoodline is looking for a highly analytical Content Operations Director who is interested in how automation can help scale the reach of local news and information, and who has a desire to help design the future of data-driven local news and information.
In this role, the Director will work with all Content Production, Strategy, Product and Engineering teams to craft and execute on streamlined processes to scale content production, in a manner that is dedicated, collaborative, and cost-effective. They will also be on the strategy team to scale operations from 40 US metro areas to 200+, and then internationally.
To be successful in this role, the Production Operations Director will own overall operations strategy, operational analytics and reporting; work to identify inefficiencies and advocate for data-supported solutions; strategically scale fulltime and freelance team contributions; and effectively manage team members toward achieving volume, quality and cost KPIs.
- Manage team of 20+ freelancers to adhere to process and production guidelines. You will grow this team as we scale and/or or recommend the ideal new structure for hitting quality and quantity goals.
- Manage 4 fulltime HQ editors
- Oversee operations for accurate creation and on-time delivery on thousands of stories monthly.
- Develop, track and deliver on production and operations metrics, and proactively inform and recommend solutions to others in senior leadership.
- Develop, iterate, and maintain production processes, best practices and procedure improvements.
- Work directly with Head of Partnerships to ensure all deliverables are met across distribution partners meeting quality and cost goals.
- Set up a structure to pilot new content templates, measure stats, and recommend team structure and process improvements to scale stories to more national DMAs, and eventually internationally.
- Monitor production spend, evaluate overage requests, and propose recommendations for budget changes to meet internal targets. Track actuals and identify trends across projects.
- Assess production risks, raise issues proactively and work with Strategy, Data Science, and Product teams to problem solve.
- Promote and support collaboration between Product, Data Science, Engineering, Strategy and Partnership, and Finance teams.
- Bachelor’s degree; MBA or Masters of Science in Operations Management preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in production management or operations at a technology or media company.
- Deep experience with production budgets, freelancer management and reading market trends.
- Data-driven, with a passion for developing nimble systems and tools to help manage production processes and workflows.
- Technically savvy and experienced in troubleshooting technical and production logistics
- Ability to manage large teams both internal and remote by prioritizing workloads, and providing consistent, constructive and actionable feedback.
- Leverage technology to set more efficient workflows and establish cross-functional process efficiencies.
- Mastery in scheduling, project management, analytics dashboards, Excel and Google Docs.
- Strong ability to professionally evaluate and resolve difficult or complex issues across departments.
What We Offer
- Opportunity to work and help solve one of toughest problems out there - local, at scale.
- Competitive compensation and generous benefits, with potential for growth.
- Strong startup (and fun) culture with catered lunches, dog-friendly office, casual dress code, happy hours, and more.
- Conveniently located office in San Francisco’s Mission District.