Hoodline is a media tech company that powers hyperlocal content discovery across the US. Using machine learning and data science, Hoodline turns raw data signals into thousands of automated local stories and videos each month. Hoodline's platform also tags and contextualizes content from hundreds of partner publications, adding exact location and dozens of other classifying meta-data to each story.
Hoodline's APIs and SDK make it easy for any app or site to integrate with its platform to recommend fresh and relevant content to their users. Partners include ABC, Yahoo Search, MSN, Eventbrite, Uber, CBS, Advance Digital, Zumper and McClatchy, delivering 200M story recommendations per quarter. Investors include Neoteny, Rakuten, Greylock Ventures, Eric Schmidt's Innovation Endeavors, CRV, Social Capital, Sound Ventures, Dentsu, Disney, and the Knight Enterprise Fund. Team of 25 in SF. Come help us figure out how cities really work.
Our interview process begins with an introductory call to help you better understand the opportunity, give us a better insight into your interests and motivations, and help you decide if Hoodline is the right place for you to be your happiest and most successful self. From there, we will conduct a technical screen with one of our engineers. Lastly, you will be invited onsite to interview with our product/engineering group. Our onsite interview is designed to assess for a broad range of skills so that we can gain a holistic understanding of what you bring to the team.
We offer strong compensation, early equity, product ownership and a ton of responsibility. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Write well architected Node.js application
- Build core platform functionalities, understand and scale the architecture to work with terabytes of data
- Build great web and mobile experiences for our content creators, partners and consumers, as clients of the back end and APIs
- Work closely with other team members on the development and support of new products
- Run online experiments and develop metrics that can drive product requirements
- MSc in computer science (or equivalent experience) and 5 years experience
- Experience with commonly available tools and infrastructures for developing multi-tenant, scalable and highly available systems
- Experience in large scale software development and product development process (code design, test plan and code reviews)
- Experience with Postgres, PostGIS, ElasticSearch, AWS/GCS infrastructure, Redis, Jenkins, Docker, etc.
- Experience building platforms that process large amounts of user generated content and process data in large-scale environments using Amazon EC2, Storm, Hadoop and Spark
- Passionate about data driven products
- Curiosity about the local content and local news space
- Is an active participant in meet-ups / groups related to: Node.js, Data Analytics, Cloud Computing, Data Visualization, Machine Learning