Hoodline is creating the nearby button for the internet by analyzing, organizing and distributing the world’s content. We’re figuring out how cities really work today, then making predictions about how they’ll look in the future.
To do this we’re looking for full stack engineers who can build a platform to help us dig into a variety of textual data that we are getting access to. We currently offer a local content platform
that provides relevant nearby articles, photos and videos for any app or site. To distribute all this content, we tag each story with a context taxonomy of more than 20 categories using machine learning, allowing people to receive relevant information about anything from where to eat to where to move.
We partner with 200+ publishers, including ABC television, McClatchy, Advance Digital, TripAdvisor and Vice, and do our own reporting to discover insights for every location. We serve this information to partner's apps and sites including Uber, Eventbrite and Yelp.
Come help us figure out how cities really work.
About the position:
We have a flat engineering organization but as an early member of our fullstack team this role will have an outsized impact on future of Hoodline’s platform.
Use your Full Stack Engineering skills to help people understand what’s happening in the city around them. You primary responsibilities will be to build, augment and run the platform which forms the core of Hoodline services. The platform essentially ingests terabytes of incoming and proprietary local and public data and converts it into insights, to understand how cities really work. You will need to have an architectural and a backend bent to your skill set.
If you get excited about connecting people at the street level through better technology, and perhaps saving local journalism in the process, we’d like to talk.
At the stage we are in, it’s a chance to have your fingerprints all over the product, work with and help build a world class team working one of the largest and most challenging problems—local. If you are curious, driven and have a bias for speed and choosing the harder path, this could be the right home for you. We’re going all out!
Our team has years of success in consumer tech, online and local media. We’re backed by a range of top tech investors including Rakuten, Greylock Partners, Social Capital, Graph Ventures, Charles River Ventures, Eric Schmidt's Innovation Endeavors, Pear Ventures, Matter Ventures, John S. & James L. Knight Foundation, 500 Startups, and SoftTech VC. Angel investors include Joi Ito, Director of the MIT Media Lab, Cyan and Scott Banister, Ben Silbermann of Pinterest and Shane Smith of VICE.
We believe that the best candidates for our team are the talented self-starters that are looking for a challenge and meaning in what they build, can think locally and build globally. We offer strong compensation, early equity, product ownership and a ton of responsibility.
- Build core platform functionalities, understand and scale the architecture to work with terabytes of data
- Build great web and mobile experiences for our content creators, partners and consumers, as clients of the back end and APIs
- Developing new algorithms and modeling techniques, conducting experiments to prove these new techniques and integrating them into the live production system for tagging, text classification, sentiment analysis, named entity recognition etc.
- Work closely with other team members on the development and support of new products
- Run online experiments and develop metrics that can drive product requirements
- MSc in computer science (or equivalent experience) and 5 years experience
- Experience with commonly available tools and infrastructures for developing multi-tenant, scalable and highly available systems
- Experience in large scale software development and product development process (code design, test plan and code reviews)
- Experience with Postgres, PostGIS, ElasticSearch, AWS/GCS infrastructure, Redis, Jenkins, Docker, Kafka, Spark, Node.js etc.
- Experience building platforms that process large amounts of user generated content and process data in large-scale environments using Amazon EC2, Storm, Hadoop and Spark
- Passionate about data driven products
- Curiosity about the local content and local news space
- Is an active participant in meet-ups / groups related to: Data Analytics, Hadoop, Cloud Computing, Data Visualization, Data Mining, MapReduce, Machine Learning, High Scalability Computing, Predictive Analytics