We are PickTrace, a fast-growing software start-up that provides workforce and harvest management solutions for large-scale farms. We are building the farm management system of the future. Today, we serve some of the largest berry, citrus, and apple growers in the United States and internationally, and our application is used by tens of thousands of farmworkers each day.
PickTrace is a YCombinator-backed company, and we just raised a Series A round of financing from an investment firm with a track record of building multi-billion dollar software companies. We are based in Glendale, CA, in the Los Angeles area, and we are hiring rapidly engineers to supercharge our growth.
Our software offering is built on a multi-tenant microservices-based platform utilizing dockerized services and Kubernetes within Google Cloud Platform, featuring a ReactJS front-end and a back-end written primarily in Python and Golang. Our mobile application is Android-first, written in Kotlin, with agriculture-specific applications including asynchronous data communication, bluetooth, GPS, and in-field push notifications.
As PickTrace’s Senior Android Engineer, you will be a key hire to own the mobile side of our technology. This engineer will drive all development efforts related to our mobile application, from architecture and design decisions, to collaboration with UI/UX design, to hands-on implementation. We’re looking for someone capable of consistently producing high-quality work, who is outstanding in their follow-through, who is not content with partial solutions, and who is thoughtful in both planning and implementation. Most importantly, we’re looking for an individual who is friendly and easy to work with, passionate about their work, and receptive to feedback and professional growth. This role offers the potential to grow and lead an Android team in the future.
- Become an expert on the context and workplace needs of PickTrace customers in order to:
- craft an elegant, high-performance mobile user experience regardless of connectivity or device
- ensure that end users of the PickTrace Android app have an empowering, frictionless experience
- build product for users of varying levels of tech-savviness, trust in technology, and demographics
- Build new features on a standalone basis with minimal oversight, collaborating with other engineers on your team to produce clean and operationally sound software, as well as:
- Developing technical plans and contributing to our architecture as we grow
- Owning the technical bar for the Android app, from enforcing best practices to unit testing to CI and our release process
- Designing and implementing a world-class mobile development process to seamlessly launch new products and iterate on existing features, in collaboration with:
- back-end engineers
- front-end engineers
- product managers
- and other cross-functional colleagues
- Help build and maintain an excited, cohesive engineering organization, including:
- assist in the hiring of an A+ engineering and product team
- offer guidance and professional development to less tenured engineers
- nurture a culture of collaboration, drive, and passion
- You have 3+ years of experience with the latest technologies for the Android platform:
- Android Studio
- Android SDK
- You have knowledge of and a passion for current trends and best practices in mobile architecture.
- You have a deep understanding of mobile performance, latency, and security issues.
- You’ve published applications in Google Play, and have experience with Android Market & associated distribution processes.
- You have strong UI/UX skills, with an emphasis on UX.
- You are an innovative, big picture thinker but ultra-proficient with technical details.
- You have a knack for simplifying, breaking down, and honing in on the core elements of problems to drive towards solutions.
- You have strong communication skills and can work effectively with a cross-functional team (including with non-technical colleagues).
At PickTrace, we are a dynamic, warm, and collegial start-up environment. We offer benefits including:
- Competitive salary compensation
- Healthcare benefits
- Flexible time off
- Free parking
- Casual dress
- Build-your-own workstation
If this sounds like your cup of tea, we would absolutely love to meet you!