At Lightout (YC W18), we're building a high-tech outdoor media company by innovating at the intersection of hardware (displays, sensors) and software (new formats, hyperlocal targeting, self-serve purchasing). Our first product is digital displays placed on gig-economy cars (Uber, Lyft, etc.), that let advertisers run hypertargeted campaigns and help drivers increase their income.
Outdoor Advertising is a century-old industry where paper, PDFs, and phone calls still dominate how most things are done. In order to succeed in our mission to build a high-tech outdoor media company, one critical component is to radically improve the user experience for our customers. As our first product designer, you'll be responsible for what you design from start to finish: brainstorming solutions, iterating on visuals and interactions however you see fit, and finally implementing your designs in code yourself (no middlemen required!)
- You'll craft every detail of new product features, from idea to UX to pixel-perfect execution.
- You'll polish each feature in code. (We love to hire designers who can code so there's no back-and-forth handoff with engineering — this helps us move fast!)
- You'll create design systems that are simple to understand but help us to move faster as we scale.
- 3+ years of product design experience.
- An outstanding portfolio, showcasing a foundation in typography, interaction and visual design, and ideation.
- Experience with prototyping as a means to explore and convey design solutions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience and desire to work in an early-stage startup environment.
- Previous experience in our industry.