Piano is a fast-growing enterprise SaaS company with operations in Amsterdam, London, New York City, Philadelphia and elsewhere globally. We provide enterprise software to the world’s leading media companies, including NBC Universal, the Economist, Condé Nast, Techcrunch, Bloomberg, and Hearst. Our software enables these companies to create customized digital experiences for users, restrict and sell access to content online, and analyze user behavior in order to drive engagement, loyalty, and revenue.
Vision, management, and stewardship
- Work with leadership and other product stakeholders to define, evolve, and drive product strategy and roadmap in the short and long term.
- Define, design, and direct major new initiatives and paradigm-shifting features within product to deployment in the market.
- Direct resources from multiple teams and collaborate with other disciplinary leads across strategy, design/UX, data, and engineering.
- Manage the grooming and prioritization process of new features, the backlog, and bug fixes.
- Collaborate with other product leads to model, map, and weave new initiatives and features across the platform, as necessary.
- Communicate internally to adjacent teams and management on product status.
- Act as the primary liaison for internal inbound product questions, requests, and suggestions.
Feature definition and design
- Interpret, assess, and inform every feature as it pertains to the grand design of the product as a central pillar within the product platform.
- Set the standard for ambitious, innovative, nuanced, and thoroughly complete feature specifications.
- Curate and procure relevant business requirements and translate them into functional specifications, design considerations, and user stories.
- Manage, support, and participate in the design of user journeys, information architecture, diagrams, and workflows.
- Manage the analytics strategy of each feature, develop relevant KPIs and markers to measure product adoption, engagement, and effectiveness.
- Oversee product development and help steer and support the engineering and QA teams through to deployment.
- Act and serve as a key voice of the publisher and end-user throughout the product lifecycle.
- Experience in product management and developing internet or media products and technologies
- Ability to view the “big picture” of challenges and opportunities related to user experience management, including the technical, functional, process, and policy considerations and to creatively define solutions to those challenges
- Knowledge of what is possible with today’s technology and products, and the ability to anticipate what is coming down the line
- Ability to adopt the customer’s perspective when defining new initiatives and product features
- Demonstrated ability to achieve strategic goals in an innovative and fast-paced environment, and to evolve product strategy based on research, data and industry trends
- Skilled at working effectively with cross functional teams
- Excellent communication, problem-solving, organizational and analytical skills
- MINIMUM 7+ years experience as a SaaS product manager, bonus points for time spent with e-commerce or web monetization; experience should include:
- Creating product specification documents such as business and functional requirements
- Managing software development resource allocation, project scope and product delivery
- Using JIRA or similar task and bug/issue tracking software
- Passionate about web software development and grounded in the the digital ecosystem
- Comfort working directly with a wide variety of stakeholders from senior management to clients
- Comfort working directly with software developers and product designers
- Rigorous and organized and able to influence others in this regard
- Effective written and oral communication
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Proven track record for managing and driving specification teams