Piano is a fast-growing enterprise SaaS company with operations in Philadelphia, London, New York City, Amsterdam and elsewhere globally. We provide enterprise software to the world’s leading media companies, including NBC Universal, Bloomberg, the Economist, Ringier Axel Springer, Le Groupe Les Échos-Le Parisien, Funke, Global Media Group and La Vanguardia. Our software enables these companies to create customized digital experiences for users, restrict and sell access to content online, and analyze user behavior in order to drive engagement, loyalty, and revenue.
The Senior Product Manager, Commerce will be responsible for envisioning and executing the strategic roadmap for Piano’s powerful commerce engine. Piano enables media companies globally to set up and manage their subscription businesses. The Senior Product Manager, Commerce will be responsible for product functionality including features enabling new business models for our clients, capabilities for boosting conversion and retention among their readers, and support for the types of payments needed in different regions of the world. This role will ensure the successful launch of these new product capabilities in alignment with company strategic goals. As our company evolves and expands into new verticals, the Senior Product Manager, Commerce will identify critical capabilities based on input from our executive team, strategic services, clients, and market research to support these emerging needs. This role reports to VP, Product.
Strategy and roadmap - Own roadmap for Commerce domain
- Identify and prioritize areas of enhancement based on Piano vision and strategy, client needs and relationships, and market opportunities. Distill identified needs into product roadmap.
- Involve senior leadership and other key stakeholders in continuous roadmapping cadence. Manage tradeoffs between competing priorities and clearly articulate reasoning behind prioritization decisions.
- Present roadmaps to internal and client stakeholders. Generate interest, build understanding, and foster alignment around a common vision for our products.
- Guide team members to ensure feature prioritization takes place with thorough consideration, serving as the voice of senior leadership.
- Contribute to Piano’s vision and strategy at the senior level.
Feature definition - Own feature specification and planning
- Lead definition and communication of scope and approach for prioritized projects.
- Coordinate the efforts of team members to conduct research and document the planned approach for development. Guide team members to ensure features are defined thoughtfully, thoroughly, and in consideration of the grand design of the platform.
- Demonstrate a strong technical understanding of our platform’s existing capabilities - determining how new features should leverage and/or replace existing functionality to best meet business needs.
- Ensure collaboration and alignment when a development project has dependencies, resolving any potential challenges with conflicting priorities across product domains.
- Continuously work cross-functionally to align on how new features should be integrated within current products and platform.
Delivery - Own realization of feature projects
- Own the delivery and launch of new features, multi-feature initiatives, and products.
- Collaborate with design/UX/engineering team members, serving as the voice of the customer and functional authority. Ensure that requirements are well understood by all team members and that features emerge from build while remaining aligned with business goals.
- Define launch requirements in partnership with product marketing, program management, and other relevant stakeholders. Represent the product team in launch activities and evangelize new product capabilities internally and with clients.
- Define and measure success criteria for items being developed and released.
- Work with program managers to provide transparency and reporting on timelines to project stakeholders including senior leadership.
- Deliver feature projects in a way that enables Piano clients to best meet business needs in a frictionless and delightful manner with a product with exceptional product design - we strive to be the best at what we do, this area is no exception!
Leadership and collaboration - Product team and stakeholder partnership
- Influence and inspire team members, even when no organizational authority is held over these team members.
- Build mutually informative relationships with key internal and client stakeholders - be acknowledged as a key partner contributing to business success.
- Communicate and collaborate effectively with team members around the world. Piano is a global company, made up of team members from many countries and time zones!
- Respond to priorities and needs among stakeholders, even when these are not be able to be delivered as requested, in a transparent, respectful, and genuine manner which establishes mutual trust.
- Facilitate product team members’ growth to become the go-to-experts on the products and domains under their responsibility, and to effectively envision, develop, and launch feature projects.
We are looking for candidates with the following qualifications:
- 7+ years experience as a SaaS product manager
- Experience managing products in media, e-commerce, payments, or web monetization domains is a plus.
- Experience managing or mentoring junior product team members is a plus.
- Ability to adopt the customer’s perspective when defining new initiatives and product features. Ability to recognize the bigger picture related to a customer need, including technical, functional, process, and policy considerations, and to creatively identify solutions taking these considerations into account.
- Experience with product feature delivery end to end, from concept formulation through launch.
- Experience working directly with a wide variety of stakeholders including clients, senior leadership, designers and software developers.
- Experience working with globally distributed teams is a plus.
- Excellent communication, problem-solving, organizational and analytical skills. Rigorous, structured, organized, and able to influence others.
- Passionate about web software development and grounded in the digital ecosystem.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve strategic goals in an innovative and fast-paced environment, and to evolve product strategy based on research, data, feedback, and industry trends.