Phylos is an agricultural genomics company using modern molecular genetics and computational biology to power the next generation of hemp and cannabis. Phylos provides breeding and R&D services to global partners and offers a suite of genetic services and testing solutions. We are a new generation of plant scientists, transforming the hemp and cannabis industries with unparalleled data, technology, and expertise. Phylos is strategically positioned to provide cultivators with the tools to understand the breadth of genetics in their catalog, evaluate development of additional varieties, and drive business growth.
Phylos is seeking a curious and engaging Director of Business Development to join our team. The ideal candidate is outgoing and collaborative with great prioritization skills. This role is responsible for the lifecycle of business development from sourcing companies to partner with, identifying contacts at those companies, identifying partnership needs, negotiating partnership terms, managing contract cycles, and closing partnership deals.
- Identify and prioritize key strategic opportunities and conduct partner analyses to determine best path to fulfill those strategic objectives.
- Evaluate new opportunities to ensure focus on the most promising.
- Identify expansion opportunities with existing partners.
- Lead deal execution for partnerships, including performing industry and company research, analyzing company impact, building financial models and performing due diligence.
- Understand and effectively communicate the Company’s value proposition.
- Define go-to market strategy with partners.
- Build relationships and communicate effectively with external customers and partners as well as internal staff at all levels of the organization.
- Maintain a database to record contacts, document opportunities, and manage progress.
- Target and establish contact with appropriate decision makers.
- Research and analyze national market activity, emerging opportunities, and geographical trends.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills:
- B.S. / B.A. degree (or equivalent); degree in agricultural sciences or MBA a plus.
- 7-10+ years of experience in strategic account sales, business development, and program execution.
- Ability to develop highly professional proposals and presentations.
- Experience in contract negotiations.
- Demonstrated leadership, interpersonal skills, and client relationship building skills.
- Very strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and work in a fast paced environment.
- Technically savvy.
- Well organized and detail oriented.
- Experience with business development in agricultural sector preferred.