Phylos is an agricultural genomics company using modern molecular genetics and computational biology to power the next generation of hemp and cannabis. Phylos provides breeding and R&D services to global partners and offers a suite of genetic services and testing solutions. We are a new generation of plant scientists, transforming the hemp and cannabis industries with unparalleled data, technology, and expertise. Phylos is strategically positioned to provide cultivators with the tools to understand the breadth of genetics in their catalog, evaluate development of additional varieties, and drive business growth.
Phylos is currently seeking a talented and enthusiastic Entomologist to join our growing Cultivation team. The Entomologist will be responsible for all tasks related to IPM for a large scale R&D cannabis cultivation environment. The ideal candidate has knowledge of the cannabis plant and its genetics, as well as impeccable attention to detail. You will work with the Director of Cultivation to develop, implement and manage a scalable IPM plan for both an R&D greenhouse facility and/or outdoor grow.
- Performs pest and disease scouting of plants for potential pests and disease.
- Identifies, marks and keeps meticulous records on affected plants.
- Maintains very detailed record-keeping systems developed in collaboration with the Director of Cultivation.
- Maintain and search out new resource information such as pesticide labels, pictures and life cycles of key pests and "common sense" procedures applicable to a highly advanced R&D protocol based environment.
- Reports and monitors pest and disease management tasks to the Director of Cultivation, Head Grower, Staff Growers and other members of the cultivation team.
- Collaborates with team and shift leads to implement IPM strategies.
- Ensures compliance with the organization’s comprehensive IPM strategy including; both chemical and bio-controls, beneficial insects, natural predators, trapping, and spraying of organic and in-organic chemicals.
- Performs soil, water, and plant tissue sampling.
- Scouts IPM equipment, ensuring all tools are free of pests, viruses or disease and in good working order.
- Perform varied greenhouse tasks and other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Entomology, Horticulture, Agriculture or Horticulture equivalent.
Must have a minimum of 2 years work experience in a commercial or preferably R&D greenhouse.
- Knowledge and experience with large scale plant cultivation and how to implement a scalable IPM program for both greenhouse and field settings.Strong organization and high attention to detail.
- Must possess excellent communication skills.
- Capable of multi-tasking and be a self-starter with minimal supervision.
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude.
- Computer proficient and the ability to compile regular IPM and conventional reports for management review.
- Should also have strong expertise in mold and pest prevention without the use of synthetic/commercial pesticides.
- Significant experience working with multiple crops with cannabis experience being a plus.
- Ability to think in both small and large scales (i.e. both 300 square feet -10k+ square foot canopy facility)
- Already possess or have the ability to acquire a cannabis workers permit.
- Passion and ambition for excelling in a research environment focused on cannabis and hemp.
- Work in variable climate conditions, high temperatures and humidity.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
- Must be able to lift 50+ lbs.
- Must be available for weekends when needed.
- Must be able to pass a background check.