Phylos is an agricultural genomics company using modern molecular genetics and computational biology to power the next generation of hemp and cannabis. Phylos provides breeding and R&D services to global partners and offers a suite of genetic services and testing solutions. We are a new generation of plant scientists, transforming the hemp and cannabis industries with unparalleled data, technology, and expertise. Phylos is strategically positioned to provide cultivators with the tools to understand the breadth of genetics in their catalog, evaluate development of additional varieties, and drive business growth.
Phylos is looking for a Sales Director to coach and support the outside sales team (Executive Relationship Managers) in first securing sales distribution partnerships and then managing those relationships. The Sales Director will develop and support key sales channel partnerships through which Phylos will begin selling its initial genetics product: hemp seeds. As that product portfolio expands, the Director will assess and adjust channel partnerships to maximize the size and number of satisfied customers.
- Manage Executive Relationship Managers team (ERM’s) through consultative sales cycles to develop them professionally and assist them in closing deals.
- Work with ERM’s to identify distribution partners who are well-positioned in their market, deliver solid technical support, and are able to provide financial terms where needed.
- Collaborate with ERM’s to set a strategic sales plan for each sales channel partner to effectively cover their assigned territories.
- Ensure the overall revenue forecast is accurate and continuously updated in Pipedrive (CRM).
- Represent the Phylos brand in a professionally, evangelize our story and educate partners/consumers.
- Maintains industry contacts to keep informed on trends and demonstrate thought leadership by speaking at conferences.
- Develop expertise in the hemp industry with regards to knowledge of Phylos and competitors’ varieties, harvest mechanization options, sowing and cultivation approaches, post-processing intake specifications, and the overall market for end products.
- An undergraduate science degree and proven sales and management experience in Ag industry.
- 15+ years of sales and sales management experience.
- Positive energy, innovative mindset, and ability to adjust course while working for a fast-growing start-up in an explosive industry.
- Experience supervising salespeople, selling through consultative sales cycles, managing channel partners, setting forecasts, supporting field personnel.
- Thorough understanding of consultative sales and negotiating techniques.
- Ability to form strong working relationships with diverse groups of people.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time.
- Humor. You gotta have it.
- Travel on farmers' time -- i.e., early morning field visits to remote locations.
- May work outdoors during hot growing season weather, ability to travel by car or plane, high frequency of computer keyboarding, and high frequency of viewing a computer monitor.
This role reports to the VP of Sales who is located in our Portland office however, this role can be worked remotely.