Phylos is an agricultural genomics company using modern molecular genetics and computational biology to power the next generation of hemp and cannabis. Phylos provides breeding and R&D services to global partners and offers a suite of genetic services and testing solutions. We are a new generation of plant scientists, transforming the hemp and cannabis industries with unparalleled data, technology, and expertise. Phylos is strategically positioned to provide cultivators with the tools to understand the breadth of genetics in their catalog, evaluate development of additional varieties, and drive business growth.
Oversee the day-to-day business functions of an agricultural R&D facility.
- Lead recruiting and hiring by posting jobs, scheduling interviews, sending offer letters, processing background checks, and managing new hire documentation and agreements.
- Manage employee access and infrastructure at beginning and end of employment (setting up designated technology and security access, and supplies, etc.).
- Coordinate and conduct new employee onboarding and training on use of timeclock, compliance and other programs, company policies, culture, etc.
- Complete employee changes to HR documentation as needed, and prepare documentation when an employee leaves the organization.
- Complete benefit plan enrollment, update, termination and continuation documents; assist with annual benefit renewal. Complete workers compensation claims and protected leave documentation.
- Respond to employee questions related to benefits, immigration, leave of absence, workers compensation, etc. and assist managers with questions related to hiring, compliance, employee admin and termination processes.
- Manage and guide employee conflicts, challenges and issues in conjunction with operations leadership.
- Maintain a thorough and current understanding of related regulatory compliance, and ensure facility and staff compliance.
- Ensure all staff certifications are complete and compliant.
- Manage outside visitors to the facility, maintaining security and positive company branding.
- Support and conduct internal training programs, including required OSHA/OLCC regulations.
- Communicate new or updated company policies through appropriate channels.
- General office management, including coffee, water, snack services/orders; related vendor management.
- Perform administrative support tasks as needed to support operations.
- Complete essential bookkeeping tasks, including timekeeping and other documentation for outsourced payroll provider, asset tracking and generating standard financial reports. Supply purchasing and returns, supply and small equipment budget development and management. Day-to-day cash management. Communicate with vendors as needed, maintaining consistently positive relationships.
- Support managers to prevent injuries and ensure employees are working safely and following OSHA/OLCC guidelines.
- Display good judgment in the face of changing priorities and have the ability to consistently manage, prioritize and complete tasks in multiple areas on time.
- Collaborate with all departments: Accounting, Operations, IT, Safety, Compliance and HR to maintain a smoothly functioning facility.
What You'll Need
- 8+ years of experience in general business operations, preferably in an agriculture or other manufacturing setting
- Ability to work efficiently with Google Suite (or ability to adapt from other similar programs quickly), and other basic office programs.
- Experience with METRC a plus, but not required.
- Several years experience with basic bookkeeping including payroll, and related accounting programs.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail is essential
- Strong ability to identify, assess and reduce areas of risk, especially as it relates to HR, accounting, regulatory compliance and safety.
- Ability to work autonomously, making decisions within your area confidently and with good judgment.
- Strong communication skills, firm but compassionate people skills, and interest in helping others be successful.
- Ability to positively influence others and resolve issues calmly and with a positive outcome.
- Willingness to be flexible, adapt to changes, problem solve with determination and generally help out where needed and within your abilities are all valued attributes in this role.
- Cannabis industry experience preferred.
Sitting or standing for long periods of time as would be expected in an office or indoor agricultural setting. Keyboarding and use of a computer are a requirement. Ability to traverse over uneven ground and at times outdoors. Ability to lift up to 20 pounds.