Phylos is an agricultural genomics company using modern molecular genetics and computational biology to power the next generation of hemp and cannabis. Phylos provides breeding and R&D services to global partners and offers a suite of genetic services and testing solutions. We are a new generation of plant scientists, transforming the hemp and cannabis industries with unparalleled data, technology, and expertise. Phylos is strategically positioned to provide cultivators with the tools to understand the breadth of genetics in their catalog, evaluate development of additional varieties, and drive business growth.
Come help us develop the world’s best cannabis varieties! Phylos Bioscience has an immediate opening on the Data Science team for a Statistician who has experience in analysis of plant or animal breeding data. We are looking for a biologically-minded statistician to bring their skills to our team. This is a great opportunity to tackle an exciting set of problems while shaping the future of cannabis.
- Analyze large-scale biological data to produce novel, high-confidence insights to drive breeding decisions.
- Together with peer scientists, design experiments and implement the strategy for statistical analysis of plant breeding and other experimental data.
- Integrate genomic, phenotypic and environmental data to address core scientific questions.
- Document analysis workflows and methods for report generation and/or scientific publication in peer-reviewed journals.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND TRAINING
- MS or equivalent experience in a quantitative field (e.g., statistics, quantitative genetics, computational biology).
- 2-5 years of relevant work experience in breeding data analysis. Some industry experience preferred but not essential.
- Knowledge of quantitative genetics.
- Experience with animal or plant breeding data analysis which must include BLUP analysis and genomic selection.
- Rigorous statistical intuition, deep understanding of core statistical principles, and extensive experience with core methods (e.g., linear regression, GLMs, dimensionality reduction, tree-based models, bootstrapping, maximum likelihood estimation, and Bayesian modeling).
- Extensive experience in using the R-programming language.
- Self-motivating individual with excellent interpersonal skills: collaborative, cultivates innovation, problem solver, curious.
- Excellent organizational skills and thrives in a fast-paced environment.
We have been honored to receive inquiries for our open position from all over the world. In order to have the best possible outcome in the hiring process, we would like to make sure that you are aware that:
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
- Given the current status of cannabis in the US, if you are not a US citizen, there is a possibility that this association may jeopardize the status of your VISA, and/or your ability to exit and reenter the United States. If this is a concern for you, please contact your immigration attorney regarding this potential risk prior to proceeding with your application.