You are a full-stack engineer with significant professional experience. You delight in building excellent products, not just excellent code. You aspire to collaborate with a team/client to take new products from idea and vision to functional code.
This is an exciting time for Philosophie. We’re helping world-class enterprises and start-ups effectively use new technologies. We're looking for someone who is available to work from our Santa Monica office; although we can accommodate a flexible schedule pursuant to our local-remote program.
Please share your Linkedin or a resume, along with a link to work samples. Please provide context for the work samples you've provided, including any technologies used.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
- Deliver excellent working code
- Evaluate and select appropriate tools and technologies for the job
- Work with modern web technologies across the stack
- Interpret and implement design and customer requirements
- Interact directly with the client
- Collaborate closely with nontechnical team members (design, product, client, etc.)
- Participate in code review
- Determine and implement appropriate automated testing solutions given the constraints of a project
- Actively participate in an agile development process, including contributing to story creation, estimation, daily standups, etc.
- Actively participate in a lean product development process (influenced by Lean Startup, Lean UX, etc), including bringing the engineering perspective to design activities
WE’D LOVE YOU TO BRING
- Relevant software engineering experience
- Hobby or academic experience with software engineering
- Serious experience building web applications with dynamic OOP languages
- Strong knowledge of software design principles and patterns
- Experience with SQL
- Critical thinking skills, creativity
- Speed, efficiency, and bandwidth
- Strong communication skills
- Experience working on a team
- Flexibility with tools and tech stack (we work with modern technologies and provide on-the-job training)
- Experience with VCS, particularly git
- A sense of humor; because, in the end, working here is fun!
- A high comfort-level in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with Ruby and/or Python
- Experience with server-side MVC frameworks like Rails, Django, Sails, etc.
- Experience with iOS development using Obj-C or Swift
- Consulting experience (independent or with a company)
- Strong understanding of automated testing at various levels of the system (unit, integration, acceptance), including experience with development practices like TDD and BDD
A LITTLE ABOUT THE TEAM
At Philosophie, we love making things. We are a diverse team of designers, engineers, and product strategists. With different backgrounds and skillsets, we come together to make useful technology. Our clients (Fortune 500 to startups) come to us with early stage product ideas; and we prototype those ideas to life. Teams make decisions collaboratively and lead clients to successful outcome. We’ve been around for almost a decade, but we still apply a startup mentality to everything we do. We work out of our beautiful, creatively inspired offices in Los Angeles and New York.
Our people describe our culture as caring, collaborative, experimental, and ethical. We are proud to have received Inc.'s Best Workplaces award, the Healthy Mothers' Workplace award, and twice recognized in Inc.'s 5000 Fastest Growing Companies.
LAST, BUT NOT LEAST
At Philosophie, we believe that different perspectives lead to better ideas, and better ideas lead to better products. We've designed our company to be responsive to employees: good ideas are heard and easy to execute on. We champion people of different backgrounds and perspectives. We do not discriminate; we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive work environment. We consider all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories.
Explore our values here