You are an experienced engineer (5+ years) with a wide range of backend skills. You are an analytical thinker, yet you take the time to design proper APIs when exposing your work. You delight in building excellent products, not just excellent code. You aspire to collaborate with a team/client to take new products from idea and vision to functional code.
This is an exciting time for Philosophie. We’re helping world-class enterprises and start-ups solve problems with new technologies. This opportunity starts as a 2-month, full-time project; with possibility of long-term employment.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
- Deliver high-quality, polished, and reliable applications
- Interpret and implement design and customer requirements
- Take full ownership of the backend, including the decision on which technologies to use
- Work with our Director of AI to implement a constraint-based algorithm and leverage data to help our client make smarter business decisions
- Interact directly with the client
- Collaborate closely with nontechnical team members (design, product, client, etc.)
- Participate in code review
- Determine and implement appropriate automated testing solutions given the constraints of a project
- Actively participate in an agile development process, including contributing to story creation, estimation, daily standups, etc.
- Actively participate in a lean product development process (influenced by Lean Startup, Lean UX, etc), including bringing the engineering perspective to design activities
WE’D LOVE YOU TO BRING
- Relevant software engineering experience
- Strong communication skills
- Experience working on a team
- Flexibility with tools and tech stack (we work with modern technologies and provide on-the-job training)
- Experience with VCS, particularly git
- A sense of humor; because, in the end, working here should be fun
- A high comfort-level in a fast-paced environment
A LITTLE ABOUT THE TEAM
“My only wish is that I had the opportunity to work at Philosophie earlier in my career. At Philosophie, you gain real experience building products. This, on top of the mentorship and thought-leadership here, deeply prepares us to be innovative in our own lives and careers.” --Product Strategist, LA
At Philosophie, we love making things. We are a diverse team of designers, engineers, and product strategists. With different backgrounds and skill-sets, we come together to make meaningful technology. Our clients (Fortune 500 to startups) come to us with innovative digital product ideas; and we bring those ideas to life. We believe in agile design, rapid prototyping, and software craftsmanship. The team is trusted to make decisions collaboratively and lead the client to a successful outcome. We’ve been around for almost a decade, but we still apply a startup mentality to everything we do. We work out of our beautiful, creatively inspired offices in Los Angeles and New York. Our culture is deeply collaborative, empowering, kind, and ethical.
LAST, BUT NOT LEAST
At Philosophie, we believe that different perspectives lead to better ideas, and better ideas lead to better products. We've designed our company to be responsive to employees: good ideas are heard and easy to execute on. We champion people of different backgrounds and perspectives. We do not discriminate; we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive work environment. We consider all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories.
Explore our values here