Pensa is looking for an outstanding full stack software engineer for the Pensa & Pensa Labs teams. We want you to become an integral member of the engineering team and help us develop the best digital technologies.
Pensa is a boutique design and invention firm located in DUMBO, Brooklyn - the hardware and design hub of New York. We are the creative force behind the D.I.Wire, Street Charge, the Merge urban bicycle and the One Drop blood glucose monitor.
Pensa also launches its own ventures. Pensa Labs is the brainchild of Pensa, and is where we make the D.I.Wire, the first and only benchtop CNC wire bender. We put innovative solutions in the hands of customers, equipping and empowering them to do more in less time and at less cost. Our vision at Pensa Labs is to increase productivity by offering innovative digital fabrication solutions.
We are a small, agile R&D team working on new software and continuous improvement efforts. We want engineers that are excited about getting their hands dirty and live to see their code operate machines, IoT devices, and apps.
What’s the job like? Be our software engineering guru! In short, you can expect to:
- Work closely with engineering to define, develop, prototype, verify and validate innovative mechatronic systems and mobile apps, their underlying software, and their tools and accessories (both physical and digital).
- Work closely with the design team to develop and prototype mobile apps and other digital interfaces
- Own the code repositories and the code life-cycle management (bugs, fixes, improvements, updates, documentation)
- Take customer input and turn it into actionable requirements for new software/hardware capabilities or improvements
- Implement good software engineering practices and processes, and improve the existing ones
Personally, you have:
- A passion for machines, IoT, apps and for creating the future of interaction and automation.
- An eagerness to learn new things and to keep on top of the latest technologies.
- An ability to work well in teams, sharing information and taking in feedback.
Your skills are sharp. You have:
- A software focused skillset, but understand and are interested in the functions of the hardware that the software controls.
- Demonstrable experience developing IOT and mechatronic systems that work well.
- Full-stack development capabilities a must (CSS, JS, Node, Python, Java. Can build in Electron)
- Experience developing, testing and debugging for both Windows and IOS systems
- Excellent written and communication skills (you'll be expected to present your work to both technical and non-technical people)
It would be great if you have any of the following:
- Able to write firmware in C/C++
- Good understanding of CNC (GCode)
- A good grasp of IoT
- Experience working with development boards such as Raspberry Pi, Arduino and the like
- Good understanding of sensors, actuators (motors) and basic electronic circuits
- Ability to solder your own protoboards
If you are an avid coder that can also build and debug simple electronic circuits, you love machines and robots, and are the type of engineer that will live, eat, drink and dream about engineering, we want to talk to you!