PayJoy's mission is to deliver access to credit to the next billion people in emerging markets worldwide. Our unique mobile security technology creates collateral that enables customers to afford their first smartphone on credit and then allows them further access to credit to help weather life's unexpected financial surprises and climb the ladder of economic well-being.
Founded in 2015, today PayJoy has reached hundreds of thousands of customers in a dozen countries around the globe, from Mexico to Indonesia, India, Kenya, and Nigeria, and is on a strong growth path with support from major industry partners to bring credit to millions in 2019.
At PayJoy, software underpins everything we do. As VP of Engineering, you’ll lead a talented team of engineers. You’ll support everything tech from the mobile apps in consumer’s hands, to the APIs that platform developers will use, to the mobile tools that help our partners deploy PayJoy. You will be responsible for growing a first-rate team and implement the Product roadmap. You will set priorities in collaboration with our VP of Product and executive team, mentor emerging leaders on the engineering team, and ultimately ship the products that will make smartphones and credit available to underserved people around the world.
You’re a seasoned engineering leader who consistently demonstrates empathy towards your users, internal stakeholders, and fellow engineers. You have experience growing teams of talented engineers and then empowering and trusting them to ship great work. You relentlessly remove roadblocks for your team and strive for simplicity. You have a demonstrated track record of building strong engineering cultures that continuously improve. You’re a master communicator. You know when to get involved and when to delegate; when to speak up and when to listen. Most of all, you’re passionate about PayJoy’s mission to provide smartphones and credit to underserved people around the world.
You will also work closely and gain the respect of other PayJoy teams including Business Development, Data Science and Customer Support.
- High-performance experience at a top company, university, or equivalent.
- Record of delivering commercial software products that led the market or pioneered a new category.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or a closely related field.
- 10 years of experience leading software engineering teams in product or SaaS companies.
- Experience managing 20+ engineers across multiple sites.
- Experience working closely with Product Management teams and managing multiple stakeholder relationships including Customer Support and Sales/Business Development.
- Experience recruiting and building Engineering teams.
- Systems software design and development experience, including experience in Unix/Linux.
- Proven track record of delivering successfully within aggressive timelines.
- Experience building products in the B2B space or experience delivering software with technology partners.
- Strong organization and prioritization skills along with outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Solid foundation in design, data structures and algorithms, and strong analytical and debugging skills with customer-facing products experience.
- Programming experience in a modern, commercially used programming language.
- MS or PhD degree in Computer Science.
- Manage a cross-site software engineering team that builds, designs, implements and maintains PayJoy’s products
- Successfully implement the Product roadmap
- Manage robust and scalable systems in order to get ahead of PayJoy’s growth
- Set goals, strategies, budgets, and oversee deployment of large-scale projects across multiple sites.
- Influence and establish best practices through solid design decisions, processes and tools.
- Work closely with Product teams to prioritize team resources and allocation
- Manage collaboration with stakeholder teams to ensure successful delivery of PayJoy’s products
- Collaborate with external Partners to sense requirements and ensure successful adoption of PayJoy’s products