PayJoy's mission is to deliver access to credit to the next billion people in emerging markets worldwide. Our unique mobile security technology creates collateral that enables customers to afford their first smartphone on credit and then allows them further access to credit to help weather life's unexpected financial surprises and climb the ladder of economic well-being.
Founded in 2015, today PayJoy has reached hundreds of thousands of customers in a dozen countries around the globe, from Mexico to Indonesia, India, Kenya, and Nigeria, and is on a strong growth path with support from major industry partners to bring credit to millions in 2020.
As part of PayJoy, you will have the opportunity to work on meaningful projects that immediately impact our customers, work alongside seasoned professionals and entrepreneurs, and contribute to a startup that is experiencing rapid growth.
Latin America is PayJoy’s biggest market to date, and we have committed to building a high-performing engineering group in Mexico City. As both a technical expert and experienced manager, you will recruit and lead engineers in Mexico to develop PayJoy’s important technologies that are making smartphones and credit available to underserved people around the world. You will lead your team to shape and deliver on products that serve all markets including Latin America.
Initially you will lead a team of 5 software engineers, participating as a hands-on technical leader which may involve writing code and guiding technical decisions. Then, as you grow the team to 15 people and beyond, your role will shift more to mentorship and management, organizing and motivating your team to do their best work.
You will manage your project goals, work with Product to contribute to product strategy, drive architecture decisions, and design simple, scalable solutions to solve technical problems for our partners and end-users. You will also work closely and gain the respect of other PayJoy teams including Business Development, Data Science and Customer Support.
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science or a closely related field.
- 5+ years experience as a software engineer, and 3+ years as a manager.
- Experience managing a team of 10+ software engineers.
- Experience with cloud-based software service design.
- Solid foundation in design, data structures and algorithms, and strong analytical and debugging skills with customer-facing products experience.
- Proven track record of delivering successfully within aggressive timelines.
- Strong organization and prioritization skills along with outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- High-caliber, high-performance experience at a top software product company, university, or equivalent.
- Experience working or studying in the US or other international context. Helpful to have worked with remote international teams.
- Manage a software engineering team that builds, designs, implements and maintains PayJoy’s products based on Mexico City
- Influence and establish best engineering practices through solid design decisions, processes and tools.
- Manage collaboration with cross-functional Engineering, Product and other stakeholder teams to ensure successful delivery of PayJoy’s products
- Collaborate with Partners to sense requirements and ensure successful adoption of PayJoy’s products
- Highly competitive salary and company stock options