Status: Full time permanent employee
Benefits: Health/vision/dental/disability/life insurance, stock options, commuter benefits
PayJoy’s mission is to make smartphones affordable for everyone worldwide. Our unique technology enables people who lack credit to purchase their first smartphone on an installment plan.
As Data Scientist at PayJoy, you will help discover signals of consumer creditworthiness in the underbanked population that are unknown to major financial institutions, but that PayJoy has begun to analyze in order to help new populations worldwide enter the mainstream financial system. Your primary focuses will be: applying data mining techniques; automating scoring using machine learning; developing internal A/B testing procedures; building a system for automated fraud detection; doing statistical analysis; and, building high quality prediction systems integrated with our products.
- Selecting features, building and optimizing classifiers using machine learning techniques
- Data mining using state-of-the-art methods
- Extending company’s data with third party sources of information when needed
- Enhancing data collection procedures to include information that is relevant for building analytic systems
- Processing, cleansing, and verifying the integrity of data used for analysis
- Doing ad-hoc analysis and presenting results in a clear manner
- Creating automated anomaly detection systems and constant tracking of its performance
Skills and Qualifications
- Masters or Ph.D. in Engineering or Statistics related fields.
- Excellent understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms, such as k-NN, Random Forests, etc.
- Experience with common data science toolkits, such as R, Python, SAS. Excellence in at least one of these is highly desirable.
- Proficiency in using query languages such as mySQL.
- Good applied statistics skills, such as distributions, statistical testing, regression, etc.
- 5+ yrs of professional experience of building algorithms and automated systems.
- Experience in Lending/Finance is a plus
As part of PayJoy, you will have the opportunity to work on meaningful projects that immediately impact our customers, work alongside seasoned and fun-loving professionals, and contribute to a startup that is experiencing rapid growth.
PayJoy started in 2015 offering smartphone financing options to the 80 million under-served Americans and immigrants who lack any options to finance their first smartphone. We are now serving customers in the US and Mexico and planning launches in Asia, with the ultimate goal of bringing 1 billion people into the modern digital, mobile economy for the first time.
We are a team of 40+ (and growing) with experience from Stanford, MIT, Google, Amazon, Uber, Facebook, McKinsey, Kiva, and Citibank, funded by top FinTech investors.