Payability is a fast-growing fintech company founded and located in New York City. Payability provides flexible financing solutions to the small businesses in the digital economy. Payability has financed over $1 billion in growth capital to thousands of small businesses. We’re looking for talented people to join our dynamic team in continuing to drive our rapid growth, and bringing friction-free financial products to small businesses.
The Head of Business Development is responsible for the sourcing and generation of new marketplace partnerships and, together with Business Operations, ensuring the success of new marketplace launches. Business Development works with every team at Payability to find and enable new areas of growth for the business. The Head of Business Development will report directly to the Chief Marketing Officer.
As Head of Business Development, your goal will be to source and close co-marketing partnerships with marketplaces and ecommerce platforms. You will work with Business Operations in scoping products for those new marketplaces, and assisting in the ongoing success of those partnerships.
Payability is a startup with proven product-market fit in one marketplace (Amazon), and early traction in a dozen others. Your goal will be to replicate the success we have generated with Amazon sellers across other marketplaces, primarily through partnerships directly with the marketplaces themselves.
The ideal candidate will be a dynamic thinker who can work cross-functionally (both internally and with prospective partners) to help identify the best possible product offering and terms for deals. Given the startup stage of Payability and the nascent nature of this function, the ideal candidate will be comfortable iterating on multiple pitches to arrive at the right deals for marketplaces. You will be empathetic, and drive hard to completely understand the needs of the marketplaces, the sellers and the dynamics between the two. Finally, you will have a track record of building b2b distribution partnership pipelines, nurturing leads and closing deals that generate revenue. A strong preference will be given to candidates with existing relationships within the E-commerce industry.
We are looking for someone who is proactive and adaptable, likes solving hard problems, is genuinely interested in Payability's mission, takes initiative to push the business forward, and is interested in growing as part of the larger Payability team.
- Source and execute revenue-generating distribution deals with limited oversight.
- Create any materials (case studies, pitch decks, financial analysis, legal documentation) supporting your deals.
- Work with CMO, Business Operations, Finance, Product, Legal Counsel and the CEO to create and iterate on a compelling a partnership offering.
- Work closely with Business Operations to scope new marketplace partnership launches ensuring that all Payability teams are up to speed with the nuances of each deal you bring in.
- Document and operationalize your process as partnerships are launched
- Be Payability's "eyes and ears" in e-commerce, paying attention to any competitive developments that could impact the business
- Identify and quantify new opportunities and devise execution strategies to properly exploit those opportunities
- Assist in other special projects on an ad hoc basis
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in business, economics
- 3-5 years of experience in a partnerships, business development, sales, an entrepreneurial role, consulting or investment banking. Having both institutional training and startup experience is a bonus.
- Ability to communicate effectively with executives at other companies.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills. Obsessive attention to detail. Takes great notes.
- Thrives in uncertain, rapidly changing environments
- Passionate about the fintech and ecommerce markets
- Strong preference will be given to candidates with existing relationships in the E-commerce industry