Payability is a fast-growing fintech company founded and located in New York City. Payability provides flexible financing solutions to small businesses in the digital economy. Payability has financed over $1 billion in growth capital to thousands of small businesses. We work with a variety of e-commerce marketplaces including Amazon, Walmart, Shopify, Newegg, and Jet. We are looking for curious, motivated, and talented people that share in our vision to revolutionize small business e-commerce finance.
The Financial Operations Analyst will be a part of the risk group on Payability’s Finance Operations team, and will report directly to the Director of Risk & Operations. The risk group has several major functions: A) to assess and mitigate risk, and to analyze/underwrite prospective e-commerce sellers for payabilities financial products, B) to leverage our vast quantities of data to create ongoing risk-based analysis, C) to reduce bad-debt, both proactively by crafting data-driven underwriting policies, and reactively by managing collections, and D) to manage day-to-day risk and financial operations-- and to assist in the automation of these processes at every turn.
As a Financial Operations Analyst, your primary objective will be to help drive operations in the underwriting, financial servicing, and portfolio management of Payability’s diverse base of clients (Suppliers, as we call them). You will be leveraging a variety of information, including Marketplace performance and financials, third party background information, and Payability’s historical data and machine learning to make well informed risk-based decisions.
As a part of the risk team at a rapidly growing startup, we are constantly iterating to optimize our product and automate our operations. As an analyst on the team, you will learn the Payability risk model from the bottom up. You will be empowered to challenge our assumptions, explore our data to glean new insights, and propose solutions to complement or even replace aspects of what we have previously established.
The ideal candidate will be comfortable in a frequently-changing environment as we continue to develop our risk product, and as a result will be highly adaptable. He/She will be motivated to proactively ask questions, seek answers, and implement solutions. He/She should be comfortable interacting with a diverse group of employees across a variety of teams, including leadership, and should be highly meticulous, organized, and diligent.
- Leveraging our proprietary risk and workflow tools to underwrite incoming customer accounts and make financial risk-based decisions
- Reviewing/analyzing existing and incoming customer accounts for risks of fraud, creditworthiness, and financial solvency, as well as performing cost/benefit analyses and revenue/sales projections in certain instances
- Supporting the business development team by executing daily financial transactions for customer accounts on new e-commerce marketplaces
- Liaising with the machine learning and product development team to identify operational workflows which may be automated and/or modified to enhance efficiency
- Collaborating with the collections team and the payments team to gather data on delinquent accounts and support collections recourse
- Helping support treasury operations and monitoring legal covenants, as well as helping support cash management functions
- Collecting regulatory documentation for incoming customer accounts and ensuring compliance with all KYC, KYB, and AML procedures
- 2-3 years experience in financial risk operations, underwriting, or other relevant roles in the alternative lending, specialty finance, or fintech space
- Must have very strong Excel or Google Sheets and technology skills; experience with financial modeling & experience working with datasets preferred
- Must be highly meticulous, organized and fast; must have an ambitious work ethic
- Superior communications skills, both written and verbal - e.g. must be able to clearly and thoroughly present and document data
- Comfortable interacting with senior management, potential investors, and external auditors, if needed
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple responsibilities, and thrive in a team oriented environment
- Strong willingness to learn, innate curiosity, and ability to think creatively when directives are unstructured or uncertain
- Passionate about the fintech and ecommerce markets
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting, Finance, or Economics preferred but not required