Habitas is a community of like-minded people who gather at our hotels, events and philanthropic activities to connect with one another on a deeper human level. From all corners of the globe and with diverse backgrounds, our members forge strong, lasting relationships through the unique experiences we create. Our programming blends music, food, wellness and conversations into life-changing moments for our community.
We believe that beauty, love & sharing, combined with elevated, mind-blowing experiences is needed now more than ever. We believe that the world needs new spaces, places, homes and temples where like-minded souls can connect and grow and dance until 4am.
Our mission is to create an extraordinary world, where strangers become friends and friends become family. A world where the only luxury we need, is the kind that feeds our souls and expands our minds, over a candle-lit dinner with friends. We live to inspire more authentic moments, rather than sharing photos on Instagram and making lifelong friends instead of collecting followers and likes.
We believe that there's more to life than working, sleeping, eating, repeating, because life can be taken away from us in an instant and because we never know when we'll see our last sunset. Most of all, we believe giving is more rewarding than receiving, because the more we give, the more we can change the world.
What you’ll do
As Executive Chef, you will build a reputation for Habitas Namibia by maintaining a talented and creative kitchen brigade, offering an innovative menu, and promising an exceptional culinary experience for our guests and community. You will oversee the operational management of the kitchen and the culinary team. Specifically, you will perform the following tasks:
- Lead of the kitchen brigade and ensure ongoing development of culinary team members
- Create menus that meet and exceed guests’' needs and conform to brand standards
- Ensure the consistent production of high quality food through all hotel food outlets
- Develop positive relations through proactive interactions with guests, team, and suppliers
- Resolve, promptly and completely, any issues that may arise in the kitchen or related areas
- Manage kitchen operations, including budgeting, forecasting, resource planning, and waste management
- Manage all aspects of the kitchen including operational, quality and administrative functions
- Ensure adequate resources are available according to business needs
- Manage the provision of food to food & beverage outlets and take action where necessary, to ensure compliance with current legislation
- Control costs without compromising standards, improving gross profit margins and other departmental and financial targets
- Ensure team members have an up-to-date knowledge of menu items, functions and events
- Maintain good communication and work relationships in all hotel areas
- Ensure that staffing levels are maintained to cover business demands
- Manage staff performance issues in compliance with company policies and procedures
- Recruit, manage, train and develop the kitchen team
- Comply with hotel security, fire regulations and all health and safety and food safety legislation
- Ensure maintenance, hygiene and hazard issues are dealt with in a timely manner
- Manage financial performance of the department so all planning is in line with hotel objectives
- Manage food control systems are adhered to them so margins are on target in a proactive way
- Be environmentally aware by ensuring food wastage program is adhered to
- Responsible for ensuring that the monthly working schedules are made and maintained in accordance with local legislation
Who you are
- Previous, relevant experience as an Executive Chef or a high-performing Sous Chef in a first class property, required
- Excellent leadership skills
- A creative approach to the production of high quality food
- A business focused approach to managing a hotel kitchen
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to build relationships, internal and external, to the hotel and the Company
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Ability to multitask and meet deadlines
- Proficiency with computers and computer programs, including Microsoft Word, Excel and Google Suite
Habitas’ vision is for all identities, backgrounds and expressions to be represented in the workplace. We're building the foundation for long-term success and intend to cultivate a safe, collaborative and inclusive space and company culture.