Manager, Data Science (Business Operations)
Strong Growth and Profitability
OppLoans has grown 1,500 percent over the past three years. In 2018, we made the Inc. 500 for the third year in a row. We have originated hundreds of thousands of loans and surpassed $125 million of annual revenue this year. In 2019, we’re projected to exceed $200 million, all while maintaining strong profitability.
Customers Love Our Product
OppLoans is committed to delivering a best-in-class experience to our customers. Don’t believe us? See what our borrowers are saying on Google and the BBB!
Employees Love Working Here
With a dynamic startup culture and generous benefits, we’ve attracted top talent and boast one of the happiest offices in the country. In 2018, Glassdoor named us the 6th best place to work in the nation. We were also recently named the 3rd fastest-growing startup by Built In Chicago and are looking to hire 100 new employees in 2019!
- At OppLoans, our ecosystem of data, systems, and processes is growing and becoming more complex (in a good way). You are a quantitative problem-solver who will lead our analytics team in analyzing our business to improve processes and maximize conversion rate. You will never stop asking, “How can we do this better?”
- As a data scientist, you love exploration, modeling, optimization, and telling compelling stories through analyses. You are comfortable with technology systems and learning on the fly, and your first instinct to problem-solving is to roll up your sleeves and dive in.
- Build sophisticated algorithms that breathe more intelligence into our existing systems, such as automated decision making, customer routing, and call strategies. Own our suite of automation capabilities and intelligent decision-making projects/algorithms/services.
- Develop predictive machine learning and statistical models to understand customer and agent behavior. Relentlessly optimize our business by analyzing every type of data you can get your hands on, and finding ways to get new data. Extract meaningful conclusions from the data and communicate those findings clearly to different audiences.
- Lead the day-to-day trending analyses of our KPIs. Improve our automated alerting and monitoring systems. Improve data visualizations and democratize knowledge about how our business is operating. Research and create new KPIs that guide our business.
- Formulate and define our analytics strategy – what to work on, how to work on it, and when to work on it.
- Think outside the box – be unafraid to break existing rules, reimagine new processes, and build them. Focus not just on Data, but Data + Action.
- Take ownership and responsibility in defining the direction of the BizOps Data strategy and build out a high-performing team. Be excited about teaching, learning, and growing together with the team.
- Source and implement innovative technology solutions that expand our Analytics toolkit.
- This role is the intersection of Business, Data, and Operations. This cross-functional, highly visible role, is the central hub of key stakeholders across various functions such as Sales, Marketing, Credit, and Technology.
- 4+ years of experience in data science and analytics.
- Must have experience in extracting information from data as well as implementing strategic recommendations.
- Experience with SQL/R/Python, data cleaning, data visualization, and building/applying both supervised and unsupervised machine learning data models.
- Technical skills that are a plus include NLP, Markov chains / Petri nets, AWS, Java, and Clojure.
- Undergraduate degree in STEM or analytics field Post-graduate degree preferred.
- Past experience in a high-growth startup and/or the financial services industry is a plus.
- Creative and imaginative problem solver who is excited to learn and identify opportunities. Ability to translate data analysis into action.
- Must have demonstrated quantifiable, high-impact achievements in previous roles. Keen focus on execution with a bias towards action.
- Proven ability to lead a team of data scientists and analysts.
- Resourceful, tactful, and motivational influencer who collaborates with other team members and departments.
- All-around “athlete” who is intellectually curious, highly analytical, and purposefully strategic.
- Ability to multitask, execute quickly, and get things done.
- Must already be authorized to work in the USA
- No relocation assistance provided; local Chicago applicants preferred.
Competitive Salary And Benefits Package Including:
- Competitive Benefit package.
- Free PPO Medical option with BCBS for Employee Only Plans.
- Flexible Spending accounts & Health Saving plans with employer contribution up to $500.
- Dental, Vision, Accident coverage.
- Disability plans & Life insurance 100% employer paid.
- Wellness & EAP Programs.
- CTA, Metra & parking programs.
- Opportunities to donate to charity.
- Fully stocked kitchen with healthy snacks & drinks available including a Bevi machine and unlimited free coffee.
- Subsidized daily lunches.
- Free gym membership onsite.
- Free shuttle passes to Metra stations.
- Casual dress policy.
- Discounted Divvy memberships & Soul Cycle classes.
- 401(k) plan with employer match that is fully vested upon enrollment.
- Employee and peer recognition program.
- Dynamic start-up culture in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to make an immediate impact in a growth stage company.
- Flexible paid vacation policy.
- Intramural sports leagues.
- Weekly office events including but not limited to: happy hours, massages, trivia & game nights, private yoga sessions, catered breakfasts & lunches, professional development seminars, fitness classes, etc.
- Dual monitors and stand-up workstations.
- Convenient downtown Chicago office located in the heart of the city.
- Awesome panoramic office view of Millennium Park and Lake Michigan, with rooftop access.
- Equal opportunity employer.