We are OppLoans
Growth with a Purpose
OppLoans is a leading financial technology platform that provides accessible products and a top-rated experience to middle income, credit-challenged consumers. Through our unwavering commitment to customer service, we help consumers, who are turned away by traditional providers, build a better financial path.
OppLoans is a team of caring and inventive “Opptimists” with diverse perspectives and backgrounds. OppLoans employees approach every new challenge with an unparalleled ability to see what could be rather than settle for what is. We want people to be excited to come to work every morning and know they are a part of something great. That’s why we prize collaboration, collegiality, and letting the best ideas win the day.
What you get to do:
- You will report to our General Counsel
- Research and advise on consumer finance and general corporate legal matters
- Draft and review commercial agreements and other contracts with minimal supervision
- Partner closely with business on streamlining processes and applying consumer finance regulations
- Oversee corporate matters and documentation related to OppLoan’s corporate entities
- Provide legal counsel and expertise on the development of new products and services
- Provide strategic support for compliance and risk groups
- Drive and execute special projects to support key objectives of the Legal team
- Work with business and technology teams to implement legal/regulatory changes
- Advise and assist both legal and business partners about legal issues affecting vendor agreements and other business transactions
What you will bring to the team:
- JD from top law school and current member of at least one State bar and in good standing
- Minimum of 5 years post-admission experience at a financial institution or law firm; experience, particularly at a high-growth start-up, is preferred.
- Understanding of the legal and regulatory environment of consumer finance and the ability to identify and solve potential legal and business issues present therein.
- Excellent business judgement and interpersonal skills to negotiate proactively with internal and external parties.
- Strong knowledge in one or more of the following areas:
- Truth in Lending Act and Regulation Z
- Equal Credit Opportunity Act and Regulation B
- Fair Credit Reporting Act
- Fair Debt Collections Practices Act
- Unfair Deceptive and Abusive Acts or Practices
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act
- Electronic Funds Transfer Act (Regulation E)
- Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act (ESIGN)
- NACHA Operating Rules and Guidelines
- Corporate entity structure
- State and Federal employment issues
- Data Privacy and Information Security
Employees Love Working Here
With a dynamic startup culture and great benefits, we’ve attracted top talent and boast one of the most engaged offices in the country.OppLoans is ranked an Inc. 500 company for four straight years and named the fourth fastest-growing Chicagoland company by Crain’s Chicago Business. We’ve been named one of the best companies to work for in the nation by Glassdoor two years in a row. Check out our Glassdoor reviews
to see why our employees love us!
Customers love our product
OppLoans is committed to delivering an outstanding experience to our customers. Don’t believe us? See what our customers are saying on Google
and the BBB
! We were also named a number one personal lender by Lending Tree, and a “Leader in Quality and Innovation” by the Center for Financial Services Innovation.
We offer a great compensation package and benefits package to support you inside and outside of work as you define your career with us. Some of these benefits include a 401(k) matching program, paid vacation policy, free PPO medical option with BCBS for Employee Only Plans, dental, vision, and accident coverage, tuition reimbursement, free gym membership, discounted Divvy memberships & ClassPass fitness classes, CTA and Metra benefit programs, casual dress policy, subsidized daily lunches, a stocked kitchen with healthy snacks and drinks, an employee and peer recognition program, and intramural sports leagues.
Our office is conveniently located in downtown Chicago with panoramic views of Millennium Park and Lake Michigan with rooftop access.
OppLoans is an equal opportunity employer. OppLoans does not discriminate against any applicant for employment due to age, color, sex, disability, national origin, race, religion, veteran status, or any other protected class.