Strong Growth and Profitability
OppLoans has grown 1,500 percent over the last three years, with 2018 marking the third year in a row we made the Inc. 500. We have originated hundreds of thousands of loans and will surpass $125 million of annual revenue in 2018. In 2019, we’re projected to exceed $200 million, all while maintaining strong profitability. Customers Love Our Product
OppLoans is committed to delivering a best-in-class experience to our customers. Don’t believe us? See what our borrowers are saying on Google
and the BBB
!Employees Love Working Here
With a dynamic startup culture and generous benefits, we’ve attracted top talent and boast one of the happiest offices in the country. We were recently named the 3rd fastest-growing startup by Built In Chicago and are looking to hire 100 new employees in 2019. In 2018, Glassdoor named us the 6th best place to work in the nation. Check out our reviews
to see why our employees love us!
- Provide assistance as needed with respect to employment and HR matters, and other special projects as needed.
- Research and advise on consumer finance and general corporate legal matters.
- Draft and review commercial agreements and other contracts with minimal supervision.
- Partner closely with business on streamlining processes and applying consumer finance regulations.
- Oversee various corporate matters and documentation related to OppLoans corporate entities.
- Deliver legal counsel and expertise on the development of new products and services.
- Provide strategic support for compliance and risk groups.
- Drive and execute special projects in support of key objectives of the Legal team.
- JD from top law school and current member of at least one State bar and in good standing.
- Minimum of 5 years post-admission experience at a financial institution or law firm; experience at a high-growth startup is preferred.
- Experience handling full range of labor and employment issues, including performance management, employee discipline, termination, severance, workplace investigations, policy development, employment agreements, FLSA, FMLA, wage and hour issues, workplace accommodations, applications, training, incentive pay, and the protection of intellectual property, trade secrets and confidential information.
- Understanding of the legal and regulatory environment of consumer finance and the ability to identify and solve for potential legal and business issues present therein.
- Excellent business judgement and interpersonal skills to negotiate proactively with internal and external parties.
- Strong knowledge in one or more of the following areas:
- Truth in Lending Act and Regulation Z
- Equal Credit Opportunity Act and Regulation B
- Fair Credit Reporting Act
- Fair Debt Collections Practices Act
- Unfair Deceptive and Abusive Acts or Practices
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act
- Electronic Funds Transfer Act (Regulation E)
- Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act (ESIGN)
- NACHA Operating Rules and Guidelines
- Corporate entity structure
- State and Federal employment issues
- Data Privacy and Information Security
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to provide clear and concise legal advice to other team members.
- Flexibility to work in a fast-paced, high-growth environment and an enthusiasm for learning new areas of law.
- Fully stocked kitchen with healthy snacks & drinks available.
- Subsidized daily lunches.
- CTA & Metra benefit program.
- Free gym membership.
- Free shuttle passes to Metra stations.
- Casual dress policy.
- Discounted Divvy memberships.
- 401(k) match program.
- Free OppLoans apparel.
- Competitive salary and benefits package.
- Fun, fast-paced work environment.
- Employee and peer recognition program.
- Dynamic start-up culture and environment.
- Ability to make an immediate impact in a growth stage company.
- Flexible paid vacation policy.
- Free health benefit options.
- Intramural sports leagues.
- Weekly office events (happy hours, massages, game nights, private yoga sessions, catered
- breakfasts, etc.).
- Dual monitors and stand-up work stations.
- Convenient downtown Chicago office located in the heart of the city.
- Awesome panoramic office view of Millennium Park and Lake Michigan, with rooftop access.
- Equal opportunity employer.