Strong Growth and Profitability
OppLoans has grown 1,500 percent over the past three years. In 2018, we made the Inc. 500 for the third year in a row. We have originated hundreds of thousands of loans and surpassed $125 million of annual revenue this year. In 2019, we’re projected to exceed $200 million, all while maintaining strong profitability.
Customers Love Our Product
OppLoans is committed to delivering a best-in-class experience to our customers. Don’t believe us? See what our borrowers are saying on Google and the BBB!
Employees Love Working Here
With a dynamic startup culture and generous benefits, we’ve attracted top talent and boast one of the happiest offices in the country. In 2018, Glassdoor named us the 6th best place to work in the nation. We were also recently named the 3rd fastest-growing startup by Built In Chicago and are looking to hire 100 new employees in 2019!
What You Can Expect From Us
A fast-paced environment with dynamic challenges and opportunities to make an impact. A commitment to professional development and support for your growth. Ability to work with a team of hard working professionals who truly value excellence and providing a phenomenal customer experience. A group committed to a fantastic employee experience from the very first interview to the everyday experience.
What We Are Looking For
We take Compliance very seriously at OppLoans. As the Director of Operational Risk, you will build out our business first-line defense that is responsible for mitigating Compliance risk, creating robust systems and controls, as well as monitoring and testing our processes and procedures. You will be the bastion of Compliance thought leadership on the Business side and work closely with the Compliance team, the second-line defense. You will also influence other stakeholders across Product, Technology, Sales, Marketing, Credit, and Legal to create a culture of Compliance to protect our business.
- Champion the business first-line defense with a set of rigorous systems and controls that both effectively minimize compliance risk and maximize profitability for the business. You are the intersection of Compliance and Business.
- Create a governance framework and repository of policies, procedures, and controls that protect our business from compliance risk and exposure. Implement automated testing and monitoring systems and processes to proactively identify issues.
- Redesign, standardize, and optimize business processes to increase conversion and reduce compliance exposure. Lead with a “Customer First” mentality to improve our customer experience in the process.
- Unforeseen issues always come up. Lead the charge end-to-end by triaging and stopping the issue from happening ASAP, understanding the root cause and sizing the affected population, designing and launching a prospective solution (manual or automated) that mitigates risk, and remediating affected customers. Be the voice of calm in the midst of fire-drills.
- Along with Compliance and Legal, prioritize the business workload of proactive solutions, corrective action remediation, and floor training and communication to ensure a sound execution strategy for risk mitigation. Work closely with Product, Technology, and Floor teams to execute on these initiatives.
- Be at home with the alphabet soup of regulation, e.g., ECOA, TILA,TCPA, FCRA, BSA, SCRA, MLA, etc. Proliferate the understanding of these laws across the various business units and ensure we are always in lockstep with the latest rules and regulations.
- As an online lending company, we are state-by-state licensed in almost 20 states. We are active in another 20 states through bank partnerships. This means that we have regular state audit examinations and you will lead the Business charge to ensure the audits are conducted successfully and the findings are remediated timely.
- Lead our Bank Partnerships by managing relationships, helping with business/product development, and ensuring our Bank partners have what they need to grow our business.
- Mentor junior team members and build out a best-in-class Operational Risk team.
- 8+ years of experience in a Compliance, Operational Risk, or BUCO role at a financial services company.
- At least 4 years of management experience in leading high-performing teams.
- 3+ years of first line defence business experience is preferred.
- Possess a playbook for operationalizing a business framework that reduces compliance risk.
- Strong project management and process improvement experience. Must also have implemented governance and controls.
- A passion for Compliance is required. Familiarity with applicable laws and regulations in our industry (ECOA, TILA, TCPA, FCRA, BSA, SCRA, MLA, etc.) is preferred.
- Experience working with Product and Technology teams to launch initiatives.
- High degree of proficiency working with data. Familiarity with SQL, Periscope, Tableau, or other similar tools is a plus.
- Must have demonstrated quantifiable, high-impact achievements in previous roles.
- Results-driven, goal-oriented mindset with high intent on delivering impactful eventualities. Keen focus on execution with a bias towards action.
- All-around “athlete” who is intellectually curious, highly analytical, and purposefully strategic.
- Ability to multitask, execute quickly, and get things done.
- Ability to tackle ambiguous and complicated problems and create robust, scalable solutions.
- Organized, meticulous, and detail-obsessed individual.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, especially in conveying analytical findings with key stakeholders.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field.
- Chicago candidates preferred.
- Competitive Benefit package.
- Free PPO Medical plan option with BCBS.
- Flexible Spending accounts & Health Saving plans with employer contribution up to $500.
- Dental, Vision, Accident coverage.
- Disability plans & Life insurance 100% employer paid.
- Wellness & EAP Programs.
- CTA, Metra & parking programs.
- Opportunities to donate to charity.
- Fully stocked kitchen with healthy snacks & drinks available including a Bevi machine and unlimited free coffee.
- Subsidized daily lunches.
- Free gym membership onsite.
- Free shuttle passes to Metra stations.
- Casual dress policy.
- Discounted Divvy memberships & Soul Cycle classes.
- 401(k) plan with employer match that is fully vested upon enrollment.
- Employee and peer recognition program.
- Dynamic start-up culture in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to make an immediate impact in a growth stage company.
- Flexible paid vacation policy.
- Intramural sports leagues.
- Weekly office events including but not limited to: happy hours, massages, trivia & game nights, private yoga sessions, catered breakfasts & lunches, professional development seminars, fitness classes, etc.
- Dual monitors and stand-up workstations.
- Convenient downtown Chicago office located in the heart of the city.
- Awesome panoramic office view of Millennium Park and Lake Michigan, with rooftop access.
- Equal opportunity employer.