Life-science holds the solutions to some of the toughest problems facing the globe, issues spanning from health and medicine to food, manufacturing, and the environment. But our pace of biotech innovation is not fast enough to keep up with the need for solutions. We need to accelerate if we are to rise to the challenges that confront us.
Biologists are held back by the need to run their experiments by hand. Manual pipetting is a tedious, error-prone process, and its slowing down science. We believe biologists should be free of monotonous labwork and the repetitive stress injuries that come with it. They should be able to spend their time designing experiments and analyzing data, moving us closer to scientific understanding and the world-changing technologies that follow.
That’s why Opentrons makes robots for biologists that are 10-100x cheaper and easier to use than any lab automation before. Our robots automate experiments that would otherwise be done by hand so our users can spend less time pipetting and more time pursuing answers to the 21st century’s most important questions.
About the Role
Our robotic platform, API, and the apps built on top of them empower scientists to discover, build, and run their own automated experiments. The engineering team is constantly building, iterating on, and shipping these powerful and user friendly products.
This role is for someone who wants to apply their computer science and embedded systems knowledge to robotics and have a meaningful impact on life science research. We are looking for someone who can grow with the organization as a core member of the team, and write applications in a way that is focused on customer needs and strikes a healthy balance of flexibility without unnecessary complexity.
- Developing reliable software for robots that must operate reliably both with and without network connectivity.
- Take part in agile project management in an open-source environment
- Take primary responsibility for back end web applications running in an embedded environment.
- Improve test infrastructure and processes to continually make software updates easier and more reliable for customers.
- Review code contributions from members both of the team and the open-source community, and assist other developers in refining features and fixes.
- Help solve tricky bugs when customer support teammates need assistance.
- Collaborate with customers to innovate on ways to use Opentrons robots in their labs.
- 2+ years experience building back end software.
- Strong software engineering skills and fundamentals.
- Excitement to work in a multi-disciplinary team and with scientists around the world.
- Experience writing well-tested back end web services in Python or similar languages.
- Interest in biotech and a willingness to learn.
- Contributions or active maintenance of open-source software.
- Familiarity with electrical engineering and physical computing.
- Biology and/or lab experience.