VP Software Engineering
Who You Are
You’re an experienced engineering manager who wants to grow professionally with a startup that has an established product and team. You’ve worked on several complex technical products already, and are familiar with software project lifecycles. You have experience with hardware, IoT, and / or robotics and are passionate about open source. You’ve hired people, nurtured junior developers, and successfully onboarded new hires. You love collaborative decision making, and value the opinions of your coworkers. You’re not afraid to get your hands dirty and fix a bug or two, but never lose sight of your long term goals.
As the VP of Software Engineering at Opentrons, you will be focused on growing and developing our team of software engineers. You will represent software engineering on Opentron’s leadership team, and work with the heads of other departments to make the best decisions for both our employees and customers. You will be managing the software engineering team and responsible for delivering high quality software on time and on spec. You will report directly to the CEO and will be a key member of the executive team.
You can expect to:
- Lead a team of software engineers to create great products that our customers will continue to love
- Enable engineers to work as efficiently and effectively as possible
- Grow the software engineering organization and lead all recruiting efforts in addition to employee feedback cycles
- Manage all aspects of the engineering department, from personnel to expenses
- Work with the leadership team to map out long term goals and roadmaps
- Work with the product team to make sure all priorities are well communicated and agreed upon
- Collaborate and coordinate with the Hardware team to build world-class products and solutions
- 5+ years experience managing software teams
- 5+ years experience as a software engineer
- Experience with projects for large-scale institutional customers deployed to production environments with specialized customer usage
- Experience with managing software teams for hardware projects focused on end-user usability.
- Experience with developing open source projects
- Experience in life-sciences, laboratory automation, or automation robotics,
- Start-up experience or other similar fast-paced environments