Life-science holds the solutions to some of the toughest problems facing the globe, issues spanning from health and medicine to food, manufacturing, and the environment. But our pace of biotech innovation is not fast enough to keep up with the need for solutions. We need to accelerate if we are to rise to the challenges that confront us.
Biologists are held back by the need to run their experiments by hand. Manual pipetting is a tedious, error-prone process, and its slowing down science. We believe biologists should be free of monotonous labwork and the repetitive stress injuries that come with it. They should be able to spend their time designing experiments and analyzing data, moving us closer to scientific understanding and the world-changing technologies that follow.
That’s why Opentrons makes robots for biologists that are 10-100x cheaper and easier to use than any lab automation before. Our robots automate experiments that would otherwise be done by hand so our users can spend less time pipetting and more time pursuing answers to the 21st century’s most important questions.
About the Role
Our robotic platform, API, and the apps built on top of them empower scientists to discover, build, and run their own automated experiments. The engineering team is constantly building, iterating on, and shipping these powerful and user friendly products.
As a Senior QA/Automation engineer, you will work closely with our product, user experience design, and engineering teams to ensure the robots and software we deliver are ready to perform precision scientific work in labs around the world. You will lead development of full-stack automated testing, and be responsible for the team’s quality practices through the full product lifecycle -- from understanding end user requirements to tracking and communicating issues in production.
- Lead development and adoption of team practices contributing to quality software.
- Collaborate with the UX design team to understand new user story rollouts and ensure that those features are tested and meet the outlined requirements and success criteria.
- Define practical test plans grounded in real world user needs, priorities, and risks.
- Select and implement appropriate tools and methodologies for unit, integration, regression, and functional tests.
- Build testing coverage of our full stack, from automated testing of firmware, our Python API, and React apps to manual testing of the end-user robot experience.
- Be an internal advocate for software quality, tracking issues through to their resolution, and ensuring efficient teamwork across disciplines.
- 3+ years experience in testing automation.
- Experience implementing and leading quality practices across a team, coaching your peers in best practices, and advocating for quality improvements.
- Comfortable working flexibly and independently on a fast-paced team and building relationships to keep quality a first-order priority.
- Interest in biotech and a willingness to learn.
- Experience incorporating QA into Agile workflows.
- Familiarity with electrical engineering and physical computing.
- Biology and/or lab experience.