Opentrons makes robots for biologists.
Currently, over 90% of biologists in the world run experiments with manual pipettes, moving tiny amounts of liquid from vial to vial by hand. By making robotics affordable and open, we can help all life-scientists easily execute and share their experiments.
Opentons’ robotics are in use in over 40 countries around world and have been adopted by top-tier institutions like Stanford, Harvard, Merck, and Roche. Opentrons is VC-backed with investors including Khosla Ventures, Lerer Hippeau Ventures, Y Combinator, and Jeffrey Kindler, former-CEO of Pfizer.
Opentrons has pioneered a direct-to-consumer eCommerce model for laboratory robotics. We are looking for a Director of Acquisition to join our interdisciplinary team of engineers, scientists, and designers, to lead and scale Opentrons' marketing efforts.
About the Role
Opentrons is looking for a Director of Acquisition role to own customer acquisition across our online and offline acquisition channels, as well as build and mentor a small team of marketing managers. This person will own end-to-end strategy and implementation of marketing campaigns across SEM, display, retargeting, email, social, conferences, and print. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in managing a diverse portfolio of media programs and in-depth knowledge of advertising technology, and an innate passion for breaking new ground. The role will identify new opportunities, evaluate the resources needed to implement, assess feasibility, drive concept development, supervise and / or individually contribute implementation, and manage program testing - with the ultimate goal of establishing new, scalable marketing channels for customer acquisition.
- Drive channel performance to meet new customer and revenue targets, and perform weekly / monthly / quarterly analysis across channels.
- Identify and cultivate new channel and campaign opportunities.
- Own the budget across the portfolio and have a point of view on allocations and scaling of the portfolio.
- Build and mentor the acquisition marketing team to achieve the revenue and customer acquisition objectives.
- Foster a culture of continuous optimization by developing and implementing a framework for iterative testing.
- Demonstrated capability - You have 5+ years experience as a marketer and marketing leader. You have strong experience managing a portfolio marketing channels for customer acquisition.
- Marketing owner mindset - You are highly self-directed, goal oriented, and show excellent independent judgement. You have a deep understanding of how marketing decisions affect other teams and can flexibly develop marketing strategies based on product or sales developments.
- You see the forest, and the trees - You are detailed oriented, but always keep the big picture in mind.
- Thrive in fast-paced startup environment - You are comfortable with the uncertainty of charting new territory and relish the thrill of moving fast to solve tough problems.
- You care about life-science, robotics, and / or open source - We are a team of people who want to make a difference by helping scientists answer important questions.
- Experience in a high-growth environment - You've been part of a team that has grown exponentially to meet a vast market need.
- Experience with high ASP eCommerce - You are have extensive experience in developing marketing strategies for eCommerce, direct-to-consumer strategies for high ASP goods or services.
- Experience with marketing to life-scientists - You have developed marketing campaigns for biologists in industry or academia.
- Experience with onsite optimization - You have experience with testing and optimization entire customer purchase journeys, in addition to channel or campaign optimization.