Opentrons makes robots for biologists.
Currently, over 90% of biologists in the world run experiments with manual pipettes, moving tiny amounts of liquid from vial to vial by hand. By making robotics affordable and open, we can help all life-scientists easily execute and share their experiments.
Opentons’ robotics are in use in over 40 countries around world and have been adopted by top-tier institutions like Stanford, Harvard, Merck, and Roche. Opentrons is VC-backed with investors including Khosla Ventures, Lerer Hippeau Ventures, Y Combinator, and Jeffrey Kindler, former-CEO of Pfizer.
Opentrons has pioneered a direct-to-consumer eCommerce model for laboratory robotics. We are looking for a Director of Marketing to join our interdisciplinary team of engineers, scientists, designers, and business people to lead and scale those efforts.
About the Role
The Director of Marketing role is a foundational hire for Opentrons. You will be the most senior marketer on the team and have the opportunity to make a large impact. You will be responsible for leading full customer-lifecycle marketing, with an emphasis on acquisition for our direct-to-consumer eCommerce model. You will develop a portfolio of marketing channels, including paid media, email, social, and physical, by taking a hands-on, metrics-driven approach to iterative testing. As you identify compelling marketing strategies, you will be building a team to further scale those up those opportunities.
- Customer Acquisition - Identify new customer acquisition channels and scale existing channels. This includes developing and maintaining relationships with publisher or other partners.
- Lifecycle marketing - Develop new engagement and retention campaigns onsite and across our communication channels
- Testing - Iteratively test and optimize campaigns with a rigorous, metric-driven approach to ad copies, styles, and call-to-actions
- Product Launches - Lead marketing launches for new products across website, email, and paid advertising.
- Team Builder - Recruit and develop the marketing team as we scale the business and marketing operations
- Demonstrated capability - You have 5+ years experience as a marketer and marketing leader. You have strong experience managing a portfolio marketing channels across the customer life-cycle.
- Marketing owner mindset - You are highly self-directed, goal oriented, and show excellent independent judgement. You have a deep understanding of how marketing decisions affect other teams and can flexibly develop marketing strategies based on product or sales developments.
- You see the forest, and the trees - You are detailed oriented, but always keep the big picture in mind.
- Team player and leader - You have excellent collaboration skills and excel coordinating highly interdisciplinary teams.
- Excellent communicator - You are clear, concise, and engaging in written and oral communication.
- Thrive in fast-paced startup environment - You are comfortable with the uncertainty of charting new territory and relish the thrill of moving fast to solve tough problems.
- You care about life-science, robotics, and / or open source - We are a team of people who want to make a difference by helping scientists answer important questions.
- Experience in a high-growth environment - You've been part of a team that has grown exponentially to meet a vast market need.
- Experience with eCommerce - You are have extensive experience in developing marketing strategies for eCommerce, direct-to-consumer strategies
- Experience with marketing to life-scientists - You have developed marketing campaigns for biologists in industry or academia.