Life-science holds the solutions to some of the toughest problems facing the globe, issues spanning from health and medicine to food, manufacturing, and the environment. But our pace of biotech innovation is not fast enough to keep up with the need for solutions. We need to accelerate if we are to rise to the challenges that confront us.
Biologists are held back by the need to run their experiments by hand. Manual pipetting is a tedious, error-prone process, and it's slowing down science. We believe biologists should be free of monotonous labwork and the repetitive stress injuries that come with it. They should be able to spend their time designing experiments and analyzing data, moving us closer to scientific understanding and the world-changing technologies that follow.
That’s why Opentrons makes robots for biologists that are 10-100x cheaper and easier to use than any lab automation before. Our robots automate experiments that would otherwise be done by hand so our users can spend less time pipetting and more time pursuing answers to the 21st century’s most important questions.
About the role:
Opentrons Applications Engineers create the protocols Opentrons customers run on their robots. Our users are working at the cutting edge of scientific research and biological engineering and your primary goal will be working with them directly to understand their labwork and code up their automation solution. You'll proactively help users to get up-and-running on the Opentrons platform by actively adjusting and iterating on existing scripts and consulting on their specific needs. You will also work to identify which protocols can be combined, customized, or re-used, write clear documentation for protocols that go onto our Protocol Library, and work to increase our customers’ ability to self-serve using both our library and our Protocol Designer.
- Communicate regularly and proactively with Opentrons users to understand their workflow needs
- Work with OT API and members of the OT Science team to fit protocols to user specifications
- Work with OT Support team to ensure scientists are successful in running experiments on Opentrons platform
- Script custom protocols for customers using the OT Python API
- Create robust documentation for protocols that will live on our Protocol Library and communicate each protocol’s capabilities to our customers for years to come
- Carry out protocol testing ensure we are shipping robust solutions to our customers.
- Develop strategies to make individual protocols more broadly useful and customizable
- Undergraduate biology degree with lab experience (or equivalent)
- Introductory level programming skills, preferably in Python
- Great written and verbal communication
- Demonstrated eagerness to ensure customer success on Opentrons platform
- Highly organized, self-directed and motivated to learn and grow