Life-science holds the solutions to some of the toughest problems facing the globe, issues spanning from health and medicine to food, manufacturing, and the environment. But our pace of biotech innovation is not fast enough to keep up with the need for solutions. We need to accelerate if we are to rise to the challenges that confront us.
Biologists are held back by the need to run their experiments by hand. Manual pipetting is a tedious, error-prone process, and its slowing down science. We believe biologists should be free of monotonous labwork and the repetitive stress injuries that come with it. They should be able to spend their time designing experiments and analyzing data, moving us closer to scientific understanding and the world-changing technologies that follow.
That’s why Opentrons makes robots for biologists that are 10-100x cheaper and easier to use than any lab automation before. Our robots automate experiments that would otherwise be done by hand so our users can spend less time pipetting and more time pursuing answers to the 21st century’s most important questions.
We are looking for a Director of Sales to join our interdisciplinary team of engineers, scientists, designers, and business people to lead the efforts to bring Opentrons robots to all biologists.
About the Role
The Director of Sales role is a foundational hire for Opentrons. You will be the first outside sales focused hire on the team and will complement Opentrons’ inside sales and marketing strategies. You will be responsible for developing and leading a portfolio of outside sales strategies, including conferences, site visits, and other strategies. You will be engaging lab scientists and other end users, as bottom-up selling into the organization is often more effective than top-down. As you demonstrate success in individual strategies, you will help build teams to scale those operations.
- Outside sales in the U.S. - carrying a monthly quota and a plan, you are directly responsible for prospecting and closing sales to academic and industry customers.
- Conferences - Identify and attend conferences that are most suited to generate new revenue and increase Opentrons brand visibility.
- Product Demos - Lead demonstrations of Opentrons products and effectively communicate unique selling points and value propositions to end users, the bench scientist.
- New sales strategies - Develop, test, and scale strategies, like email campaigns, cold calls, or campus ambassadors to generate new revenue streams.
- Metric building and analysis - Build a set of scalable metrics to work off of to maximize efficiency and allow optimal growth.
- Ability to travel - You are able to travel across the U.S. 2-3 weeks a month, with a focus on the Northeast.
- Demonstrated capability - You have 4+ years experience as an outbound sales person. You have strong experience performing cold outreach and enjoy finding people to sell to.
- Owner mindset - You are highly self-directed, goal oriented, and show excellent independent judgement.
- You see the forest, and the trees - You are detailed oriented, but always keep the big picture in mind.
- Team player and leader - You have excellent collaboration skills and excel coordinating highly interdisciplinary teams.
- Excellent communicator - You are clear, concise, and engaging in written and oral communication.
- Thrive in fast-paced startup environment - You are comfortable with the uncertainty of charting new territory and relish the thrill of moving fast to solve tough problems.
- You care about life-science - We are a team of people who want to make a difference by helping scientists answer important questions.
- Experience in a high-growth environment - You've been part of a team that has grown exponentially to meet a vast market need.
- Experience with selling to life scientists - You’ve worked with laboratory managers, principal investigators, lab technicians, and folks who spend their time in, or around, the lab.