We’re looking for a quick and clear writer with great judgment and attention to detail to support our communications work. The Communications Associate will:
- Draft grant pages for the Open Philanthropy website based on internal materials;
- Draft blog posts based on technical conversations with senior leadership and program staff;
- Review newsletters and other external communications for readability, accuracy, and adherence to Open Phil’s voice and style;
- Maintain social media guidelines and standards for Open Phil staff;
- Support media engagement and track media mentions relevant to Open Phil; and
- Lead other potential future projects including coordination of workshops and cause convenings, support for donor relations, design of outreach materials, and other work based on your interests and skills.
You might be a good fit if you:
- Take pride in writing clean and clear prose;
- Are a methodical and meticulous editor;
- Are sensitive to nuances in tone and communication style;
- Are able to write in a specific “voice” if needed;
- Are excited about Open Phil’s work;
- Are comfortable with scientific principles, data and basic statistics, and quantitative reasoning; and
- Have an interest in learning more about media strategy and/or public relations.
Helpful (but not required) attributes include:
- Familiarity with effective altruism and/or foundations/nonprofits;
- Past journalism, public relations, or blogging experience; and
- Basic skills in graphic design, data visualization, social media engagement, and multi-platform storytelling.
We don’t expect you to have all of these experiences yet! But if you’re excited to contribute to a growing communications team and are open to learning new skills, we hope you'll apply.
- This is a full time position based in San Francisco, but we’re open to remote work in special cases.
- We are committed to fostering a culture of inclusion and encourage people with diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply.
- In addition to the starting salary of $70,000, we offer a comprehensive benefits package including 100% employer paid premiums on health, dental, vision and life insurance, an unconditional 401(k) grant of 15% of your salary up to $19,000 ($10,500 for the current starting salary), flexible work hours and location, ergonomic equipment and more.
- Our website has more about who we are, what we’re about, and what we fund.