Joining nmcn will open a door full of opportunities, where our people are nurtured for success and empowered to build their own adventure. We believe in your development, potentiality and growth. We aspire to be industry leading with renewed focus on having a positive impact on everything we touch.
We work in partnership and collaboration with our customers, to deliver major built environment and critical national infrastructure projects across the UK. Our specialist engineering and construction teams bring multi-sector innovation and technical skill – from building and highways, to large-scale water networks and treatment plants.
An opportunity has arisen for a Mechanical Design Engineer. You will be responsible for the production and coordination of outline and detailed Mechanical Design Deliverables on combined Process / Mechanical / Electrical schemes in the water industry.
What you’ll be doing day to day
- Ascertaining Clients requirements either through reference to their specification documents or more likely through visiting sites with their nominated personnel.
- key requirement is the ability to determine the actual operational requirement and propose appropriate solutions.
- Working alongside the Design Team Lead / Lead designer and where applicable the Project Manager to ensure scheme designs are value engineered and adhere to client specifications.
- Retaining appropriate levels of operational security and full compliance with all relevant Health, Safety and Environmental legislation.
- To promote innovation and challenge parties involved to ensure cost effectiveness in all design activities.
- To provide engineering calculations and solutions from inception to completion of schemes utilising our design partners, individual knowledge, site installation and construction personnel.
- To closely coordinate design production between nmcn in house design teams, external design companies, our suppliers and subcontractors and where applicable our client’s designers.
- Ensuring designs are approved where applicable by the client in accordance with the timescales stipulated within the contract.
- To ensure all design work is completed to agreed programmes, financial budgets, KPI’s and to a high-quality complying with nmcn design procedure.
- Attend internal and external design reviews and progress meetings, which may include travel.
The experience we’re looking for in a candidate
- An industry applicable BEng, BSc or equivalent in a mechanical discipline
- Conversant with hydraulic calculations including but not limited to pipelines, pump duties.
- Commercial and contractual awareness
- Working knowledge of Microsoft and Google packages
- Ability to prioritise a varied workload and demonstrate good time management to comply with deadlines
- Excellent communication skills (email/phone/face to face)
- Possess a “can do” attitude and provide to support to other members of the team as required
- Experience and understanding of water and sewage treatment processes
- Willing to progress to Chartered Engineer status
- Experience with AutoCAD, Revit and FEA software’s would be an advantage
- Strong team player but also able to work as an individual
The personal attributes we're looking for in a candidate
- Desire to understand and promote the Company purpose, vision, values and culture
- Trustworthy and ethical approach, exercising discretion where required
- Organised, structured and professional, with a passion for excellence
- Flexibility, resilience and the ability to influence and build relationships at all levels
- Commitment to the provision of excellent customer service
- Experience in a fast paced, national and multi-site business
- Self starter who has the ability to prioritise a varied workload and demonstrate good time management to comply with deadlines
What we can offer you
- Competitive Salary
- Company car / Car allowance
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- Holiday trading scheme
- Perks at work scheme (discount from high street retailers)
- Free eye test vouchers
- Employee share scheme
- 3x life assurance
- Free Parking
- Flexible Working
- 5% enhanced pension contribution