POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT: Manager, Portfolio (12-month temporary position)
LOCATION: Boston, MA
ABOUT NEW PROFIT
New Profit is a pioneering venture philanthropy organization that backs social entrepreneurs who are advancing equity and opportunity in America. In partnership with a national network of philanthropists, New Profit provides unrestricted funding and strategic support to a portfolio of social entrepreneurs to help them realize their full potential. We also work to ensure that all social entrepreneurs can thrive by influencing how government and philanthropy fund and advance social problem solving through policy advocacy, convening, and field leadership efforts. Since its founding in 1998, New Profit has invested over $250M in our portfolio and unlocked over $1.7B in public sector funding for social innovation.
New Profit is looking for a strategic project manager and analytic problem-solver with strong relationship management capabilities to join the Portfolio Investing team in a 12-month temporary position. The Manager will engage in a broad range of critical activities related to our core investing operations and the evolution of our grantee support model.
Activities include complex project management for multi-stakeholder strategic projects, supporting New Profit Partners in the creation of frameworks and tools to codify knowledge and best practices within our portfolio, benchmarking research including desk research and field interviews to inform internal portfolio management decisions, and providing support on special projects for portfolio leadership. This position will play a pivotal role in helping the Portfolio team understand the needs of Social Entrepreneurs in our portfolio, the trends we are seeing in the field and within our portfolio, and capturing insights and lessons to share with organizations and our partners to inform our capacity building approach.
This position will report to New Profit Partner Molly O’Donnell and work with her on the following:
- Project Management: Engage in managing a multi-work stream, multi-stakeholder project including partnering with external consultants and engaging groups of partners internally.
- Research and Analysis: Lead and synthesize research providing accurate and thorough summaries. This will include desk research such as benchmarking projects as well as interview-based research connecting with partners, social entrepreneurs, and field experts.
- Content synthesis: Translate research findings, meeting notes, and other content into useful materials and recommendations for the portfolio team.
- Knowledge Management: Manage New Profit’s internal knowledge management Wiki page using Confluence’s Atlassian services. Develop a perspective on the future evolution of New Profit’s knowledge management approach and the content captured and shared for partners internally on this page.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Strong analytical skills and strategic thinking
- Creative, learning-oriented problem solver
- Effective at building relationships
- Strong project planning and project management skills
- Engaging, clear verbal and written communication skills (ability to convey clear content via power point slides a plus)
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment, simultaneously lead multiple projects and effectively prioritize time and tasks
- Ability and willingness to switch between work that requires high level strategic thinking and work that is more focused on logistics, operations and execution
- Demonstrated commitment to New Profit’s mission, and in particular its commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity
- Minimum of five years of relevant professional experience (e.g. nonprofits, philanthropy, management consulting, venture capital) and/or advanced degree (e.g. MBA, MPA)
- Mastery of Microsoft Office programs This position requires strong relational and collaborative leadership including the ability to build rapport with a wide range of people, navigate complex relationships, and facilitate discussions for strong collective performance. How have you demonstrated these abilities in past work?
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this position, please go to New Profit’s Career page
. In lieu of a cover letter, please submit a resume and cover letter assignment (instructions below) addressed to Molly O’Donnell. Please upload questions where it indicates to attach your cover letter in the job posting
In lieu of a cover letter, please share thoughtful responses to the following questions in 4-7 sentences per question:
1. Please tell us why you are interested in this position and what past experiences make you suited for it?
2. This position requires strong relational and collaborative leadership including the ability to build rapport with a wide range of people, navigate complex relationships, and facilitate discussions for strong collective performance. How have you demonstrated these abilities in past work?
3. New Profit’s Core Values are 1) Embrace Diversity, Foster Inclusion; 2) Be Tenacious About Outcomes 3) Elevate Entrepreneurialism, and 4) Lead Through Relationships. Please select one of these values that most resonates for you and share why this value is important to you and how you have demonstrated this value in your work experience to date.
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply. Please indicate in your application if you are a national service alumnus. As an equal opportunity employer, New Profit recognizes the power of a diverse community and strongly encourages applications from individuals with varied experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds. New Profit offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills. Please no direct phone calls or emails.