ABOUT NEW PROFIT
New Profit is a pioneering venture philanthropy organization (501c3) that backs a portfolio of breakthrough social and system entrepreneurs who are taking on America's toughest, most entrenched challenges. In partnership with a national network of philanthropists, New Profit provides social and system entrepreneurs with unrestricted grants and strategic support to help them build and scale high-impact organizations. The organization also strengthens the ecosystem that surrounds grantee-partners to help them thrive and invests in new social innovations aimed at driving widespread change. Since its founding in 1998, New Profit has invested over $250M in our portfolio and unlocked over $1.7B in public sector funding for social innovation.
New Profit’s Catalyze Investments provide $50K-$100K unrestricted grants, strategic advice, and a peer learning community over one to two years to catalyze the innovations of organizations with leaders and focus areas that have historically been under-invested in.
New Profit provides Catalyze Investments to cohorts of seven to eight organizations with under-invested leaders and focus areas. Our cohort model enables the social entrepreneurs to form a peer learning community, which offers an opportunity for them to connect, receive and give advice and support to each other, and participate in a series of in-person convenings structured around tackling key leadership and organizational challenges they face in order to deepen their impact and scale their models.
New Profit provides strategic support to Catalyze Investment cohorts in two ways. First, we provide them with training and tools that capture the insights we have gleaned over 20 years of venture philanthropy investing on how to build high-performing and sustainable organizations. Second, we offer dedicated 1:1 advisory support on a range of topics, including strategy, fundraising, communications, talent development, and policy advocacy. We bring in expert partners from our staff and our network to provide coaching to the cohorts and to help them more effectively articulate their impact story.
New Profit is looking for a strategic, adaptive, collaborative, and analytic problem-solver excited about social entrepreneurship and philanthropy.
As a key member of the Catalyze Investments Team, the Senior Associate will engage in a broad range of critical activities. These include supporting critical elements of investment selection; conducting trend analysis across the portfolio and/or a given landscape; supporting capacity-building programming including in-person and virtual convenings; and supporting the creation of frameworks and tools to codify knowledge and best practices. The Senior Associate will assist in continuing to improve our Catalyze Investments model to ensure that we provide world-class support underrepresented social entrepreneurs. As part of the New Profit team, this position plays an important role in supporting network management and enterprise management goals and objectives.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Portfolio Investment Selection: Assist in the development of a strong, robust pipeline of potential portfolio organizations; participate in screening activities to assess the attractiveness of candidate organizations as new portfolio investments and ensure a consistent, high-quality selection process.
- Portfolio Support: Support in designing high quality cohort-based programming including in-person and virtual convenings; conduct trend analysis; support the development of content to address specific challenges faced by portfolio organizations; support portfolio organizations as new opportunities and challenges arise; support the portfolio organization’s ability to access New Profit resources.
- Evaluation and Assessment: Contribute to the ongoing improvement of New Profit’s Catalyze investments programing and systems; capture best practices and lessons learned in portfolio work; contribute to the development of new frameworks and tools to codify New Profit’s knowledge and practices.
- Organizational Leadership: Work collaboratively with the Catalyze and the broader New Profit team as well as key external stakeholders to ensure continued growth and improvement within the organization through strategic planning, fund development, and operational effectiveness.
- Minimum of two years of relevant professional experience (e.g., nonprofits, philanthropy, management consulting, venture capital) along with Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work / education experience
- Strong analytical skills to identify trends and develop solutions
- Creative, learning-oriented problem solver
- Effective at building relationships and collaborative work environments
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Strong self and project management skills
- Adaptable and able to manage multiple, changing priorities and stakeholders
- Collaborative team player willing to go above and beyond their job description for the success of New Profit and its portfolio of investments
- Engaging, clear verbal and written communication skills
- Mastery of Microsoft Office programs
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this position, please go to New Profit’s Career page
. In lieu of a cover letter, please submit a resume and cover letter assignment (instructions below) addressed to Lavon Fairclough. Please upload questions where it indicates to attach your cover letter in the job posting. To apply for this position, please submit a resume and thoughtful responses to the following questions in 4-7 sentences per question:
- Please tell us why you are interested in this position; and what past experiences make you suited for it.
- This position requires strong self and project management skills as well as the ability to execute on strategy with detail orientation towards goals and outcomes. Please describe any experiences that demonstrate these abilities.
- New Profit’s grant-making work requires researching and synthesizing large trends in the field as well creating nuanced analyses on potential grantees and portfolio organizations. How have you demonstrated these abilities in past work?
- The position will be located at our headquarters in Boston. If you do not reside in Boston now, would you be willing to relocate to take this position? (1-2 sentences)
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply. Please indicate in your application if you are a national service alumnus. As an equal opportunity employer, New Profit recognizes the power of a diverse community and strongly encourages applications from individuals with varied experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds. New Profit offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills. Please no phone calls or emails.