Senior DevOps Engineer
New Context is a rapidly growing consulting company in the heart of downtown San Francisco. We specialize in Lean Security: an approach that leads organizations to build better, safer software through hands-on technical and management consulting. We are a group of engineers who live and breathe Agile Infrastructure, Systems Automation, Cloud Orchestration, and Information & Application Security.
As a New Context Senior DevOps Engineer, you will provide technical leadership with a hands-on approach. Our clients look to us to guide them to a solution that makes sense for them, and you should expect to provide thought leadership, design, and implement that solution.
Expect to heavily use Open Source software to take on challenges like delivery of highly secured containers, management of IoT devices or building Big Data ecosystems at petabyte scale and beyond. You will utilize our core methodologies - Agile, Lean, TDD and Pair Programming - along with your fluency in DevOps - to implement robust and reliable systems for our clients.
You will work with our clients and other New Context team members while working from the New Context office, at client sites, or from your home. We foster a tight-knit, highly-supportive environment where there are no stupid questions. Even if you may not know the answer immediately, you'll have the entire company supporting you via Slack, Zoom, or in-person. We also host a daily, all-company stand-up via Zoom, and a weekly company Retro, so you won't just be a name on an email.
At New Context, our core values are Humility, Integrity, Quality & Passion! Our employees live these values every single day.
Who you are:
- A seasoned technologist with 5+ years work experience in a DevOps, SRE, or Continuous Integration role;
- Experienced in Open Source web technologies, especially in the areas of highly-available, secure systems;
- Accustomed to implementing cloud-based solutions (AWS, Google Cloud, Azure) with significant work experience in public cloud technologies;
- Have developed production-quality applications in an Agile environment;
- Fluent in one or more high-level languages, ideally Ruby and/or Python;
- Familiar with Infrastructure as Code (IaC) and automated server provisioning technologies;
- Experienced as a technical lead on technical projects;
- An excellent communicator, experienced working with external clients and customers and able to communicate productively with customers to explain technical aspects and project status;
- Able to think on your feet and learn quickly on-the-job in order to meet the expectations of our clients;
- A great teammate and a creative and independent thinker.
Bonus points if you are:
- Comfortable as a technically hands-on Project Manager;
- Experienced managing teams;
- Happy and effective in a consulting role;
- Familiar with: TCP/IP, firewall policy design, social engineering, intrusion detection, code auditing, forensic analysis;
- A believer in automated tests and their role in software engineering;
- Able to translate complex concepts to business customers
Technology we use:
We tailor solutions to our customers. You might work on projects using any of the following technologies:
- Automation: Chef, Puppet, Docker, Ansible, Salt, Terraform, Automated Testing
- Containerization Ecosystem: Docker, Mesosphere, Rancher, CoreOS, Kubernetes
- Cloud & Virtualization: AWS, Google Compute Engine, OpenStack, Cloudstack, kvm, libvirt
- Tools: Jenkins, Atlassian Suite, Pivotal Tracker, Vagrant, Git, Packer
- Monitoring: SysDig, DataDog, AppDynamics, New Relic, Sentry, Nagios, Prometheus
- Databases/Datastores: Cassandra, Hadoop, Redis, postgres, MySQL
- Security: Compliance standards, Application Security, Firewalls, OSSEC, Hashicorp Vault
We are committed to equal-employment principles, and we recognize the value of committed employees who feel they are being treated in an equitable and professional manner. We are passionate about finding ways to attract, develop and retain the talent and unique viewpoints needed to meet business objectives, and to recruit and employ highly qualified individuals representing the diverse communities in which we live, because we believe that this diversity results in conversations which stimulate new and innovative ideas.
Employment policies and decisions on employment and promotion are based on merit, qualifications, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.