At Netlify, we’re building a platform to empower digital designers and developers to build better, more elaborate web projects than ever before. We’re aiming to change the landscape of modern web development.
The Rails Engineer’s mission is to build the APIs and user interfaces that thousands of developers use when they deploy their sites on Netlify.
Some of the challenges you’ll be working on:
- Build new features to make working with Netlify a fantastic experience for developers.
- Build internal tools to help our other teams interact with our users.
- Integrate our Open Source projects with the rest of Netlify’s platform.
- Make using our CLI a delightful experience for new and experienced users.
To be effective in this role, you’ll benefit from experience in:
- UI and UX experience.
- Web and CDN technologies.
- Internet standards like HTTP, DNS, and TLS.
Competencies that we value in candidates:
- You enjoy helping and mentoring other engineers to grow.
- You can focus on key priorities and pragmatic solutions.
- You can adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions.
- You are curious about compiled programming languages. We use Go and C++ in some areas of our infrastructure.
About the team
Though the team is small, we are a fast-growing startup. You will be working across the company. There are only twenty of us, so you are getting in at a time when we need people who can help us build a path towards the future.
We believe that empowered, engaged employees do the best work. We’ll be giving you the tools you need to succeed and looking to you for suggestions for improvement not just in your daily job, but in many other aspects of building a company. Whether you work from our main office in San Francisco, or you are a remote employee, we’ll be working together a lot - particularly, pairing and collaborating - we want you to succeed! We don’t want you to work too hard (burnout is real), and we do want to encourage you to grow (impostor syndrome
is also real) - and we’ll help you do that.
Netlify is devoted to building a team of people with different backgrounds and lifestyles. We eagerly invite applications from people of all kinds. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, race, citizenship, pregnancy status, or any other differences. If we can do anything to provide a better interview, i.e. accommodate a disability, then please do let us know.
How we hire
After we evaluate your application, we will schedule a conference call so we can meet. If you live in San Francisco, we usually substitute this call with a visit to our office. This first meeting helps us to learn more about your past experience and helps you to learn a little bit more about our company and how we work.
If we move forward with the process, we will work together in designing a test to evaluate your technical skills. We’ll invite you to join a dedicated Slack channel where we can reach each other and talk about the test.
If the test is successful, we’ll schedule a next meeting with other members of the company that you’ll be working with, directly or indirectly.
After this third interview, you’ll meet with the management team to discuss salary and other compensations.