Netlify is revolutionizing the way developers and teams build, deploy, and run modern web projects. Our mission is to build a future of the web that is open, accessible for all, and secure by default. We aim to perfect a collaborative platform that allows any developer to build performant web projects and simply push their code, while we take care of the rest.
We are looking for a Web and Brand Designer who can help Netlify build its brand. This person will help us communicate the brand effectively in all of our designs and marketing materials. This role is responsible for the executing the visual design and design language of all marketing materials, and prioritizing, managing, and communicating design projects.
Our dream candidate can deliver high-quality work within our existing design system, but is skilled enough to know when the system should evolve and can help us advance the brand and consider ambitious improvements. You’ll work collaboratively with several teams—product, marketing, developer relations—to ensure a strong, cohesive brand identity; both for Netlify and for our initiatives like JAMstack and the open source NetlifyCMS.
- Be the design mastermind behind Netlify.com (and a few of our community sites), partnering with the marketing team to add, refresh, and optimize site content.
- Partner with marketing team to design a variety of digital content, including landing pages, email templates, customer stories, event and social media assets, and display advertisements.
- Help build our visual design language, maintaining a living visual style guide in collaboration with product designers.
- Coordinate with contractors as needed for specialized projects.
- A demonstrable background and portfolio of communication, visual, or graphic design work.
- Experience designing for a persona-based journey.
- Experience optimizing design for user signups or lead registration.
- Phenominal communicator. Can clearly articulate intention behind design choices.
- Open to feedback, able to take criticism, can engage in constructive debate.
- Able to work out of our headquarters in San Francisco.
- Experience designing for highly technical products and/or community-centric brands.
- You can draw! Illustration talent of objects, humans, and ideas.
You are interested in working with a product that is inherently technical, but strives to reduce technical complexity to easily understandable interfaces that can be approached by novice and professional alike. You are willing to come with ideas, and consider how Netlify can improve and grow to be used by millions of developers.
QUALITY: You’re willing to fight for quality while being aware your work will live in a startup environment to “ship fast, while trying not to break things.” You can demonstrate why quality manifests in better outcomes for our users.
COMMUNICATION: You are articulate in the presentation of your work, and seek feedback early and often. You are willing to defend your work while encouraging critique and open discourse.
TEAMWORK: You seek opportunities to collaborate with other designers, engineers, or anyone in the company, while also being comfortable to operate on your own. Netlify is a mixed team of remote and local folks, sometimes timezones disallow a colleague from being available.
PLANNING: You are able to understand what tasks are most important for the business and the best use of your time when explicit direction is absent or unclear. You work to set expectations with stakeholders and work to continually deliver on time.
PROBLEM SOLVING: You see communication design’s role as important as product and other design work. Leveraging your skillset and perspective to deconstruct complex problems and present solutions that better both the product and marketing experiences of Netlify.
Benefits + perks
- Working with a mission-driven team that celebrates diversity, work-life balance, and employee growth
- Competitive salary
- stock options
- Free food, drinks & snacks at the office including lunch
- Electronically operated sit to stand desks
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- ‘Whatever gear you need’ when you join
- Get-things-done work environment – work whenever you want, take days off whenever you want, as long as you’re getting things done and collaborate with your teammates
About the team
Though the team is small, we are a fast-growing startup. You will be working across the company. There are only twenty of us, so you are getting in at a time when we need people who can help us build a path towards the future.
We believe that empowered, engaged employees do the best work. We’ll be giving you the tools you need to succeed and looking to you for suggestions for improvement not just in your daily job, but in many other aspects of building a company. Whether you’re working with colleagues from our main office in San Francisco, or with are a remote employee, we’ll be working together a lot—particularly, pairing and collaborating—we want you to succeed! We don’t want you to work too hard(burnout is real), and we do want to encourage you to grow (impostor syndrome
is also real)—and we’ll help you do that.
Netlify is devoted to building a team of people with different backgrounds and lifestyles. We eagerly invite applications from people of all kinds. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, race, citizenship, pregnancy status, or any other differences. If w/e can do anything to provide a better interview, i.e. accommodate a disability, then please do let us know.
How we hire
Our hiring process starts as soon as you apply using the form below. Please send us a link to your most recent and most thorough portfolio of design work, a thoughtful cover letter explaining why you enjoy communication design, and why you’d like to work at Netlify.
After we evaluate your application, we will schedule a conference call so we can meet. If you live in San Francisco, we usually substitute this call with a visit to our office. This first meeting helps us to learn more about your past experience and helps you to learn a little bit more about our company and how we work. Our hiring process progresses as needed depending on the candidate and may involve a paid contract-based evaluation period of 2 weeks.