The general counsel is responsible for leading corporate strategic and tactical legal initiatives. The general counsel provides senior management with effective advice on company strategies and their implementation, manages the legal function, and obtains and oversees the work of outside counsel. The general counsel is directly involved in complex business transactions in negotiating critical contracts.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Participates in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures and programs and provides continuing counsel and guidance on legal matters and on legal implications of all matters.
- Serves as key lawyer/legal advisor on all major business transactions, including acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures.
- Judges the merits of major court cases filed against or on behalf of the company, works with the appropriate executive(s) to define a strategic defense and approves settlements of disputes where warranted.
- Assumes ultimate responsibility for ensuring that the company conducts its business in compliance with applicable SEC et al. laws and regulations.
- Structures and manages the company’s internal legal function and staff.
- Oversees the selection, retention, management and evaluation of all outside counsel.
- Advises on legal aspects of the company’s financing, including assessing and advising on current and future business structures and legal entities.
- Customer/Client Focus.
- Collaboration Skills.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
- Time Management.
This position requires up to 25 percent travel. Some of the travel is international.
Required Education and Experience
- Law degree.
- Admitted to the bar.
- Minimum of four years’ experience in a law firm environment.
- Experience working on matters of corporate governance and with a board of directors.
- Experience managing other attorneys and supervising support staff in a corporation; experience with cost-effective management of outside legal resources.
- Familiarity and understanding of Sarbanes-Oxley and legislation and related FASB revenue recognition guidelines.
- Experience in directing strategy and managing complex IP litigation cases.
- Experience with early stage technology companies
- Experience working with State and Federal regulators
Neocova is a rapidly expanding financial technology firm headquartered in St. Louis with operations in New York. Neocova offers a wealth of benefits and perks, commensurate with what is found in the best organizations across the United States, from excellent health and wellness offerings to discounts on a variety of business products and services relevant to today’s professionals. We aspire to be the best work environment, empowering and encouraging our people in and outside of the office. We hope you are the next member of our thriving team.