Full Time (40 hours per week)
Summary: Position is responsible for the successful operation of a branch library. Ensures effective and efficient delivery of library materials and services. Works consistently within NCRL standards and policy directives and all applicable laws. Supports the library’s mission of “Connecting the people of North Central Washington to vital resources and opportunities that foster individual growth and strengthen communities".
Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Trains staff in their branch on topics such as Koha, weeding, collection management, customer service, and more.
- Monitors work for quality and for conformance to policies and procedures.
- Provides effective professional modeling that motivates library staff.
Policy Clarification and Implementation
- Interprets library policies and procedures for fellow staff and the public.
- Ensures library staff understand policies related to their work and are able to implement them effectively.
- Responds to patron questions or concerns and resolves problems as they arise.
- Supervises programming plans in branch to ensure library initiatives are being implemented in a targeted and balanced way.
- Seeks to maximize the benefits and ease the burdens of programming.
- Monitors programming statistics to ensure programs are effective and community needs are being met.
- Works to understand and be responsive to local community needs and desires.
- Acts as a liaison to local government agencies, community organizations, local schools, and groups such as the Friends of the Library.
- Partners with community groups to meet shared needs and objectives.
- Presents to community groups as an ambassador for the library.
- Serves on committees as assigned, and stays up-to-date with all library goals and initiatives related to branch services.
- Handles site-specific issues or notifies supervisor of issues when necessary.
- Monitors the handling of cash and receipts.
- Must be able to handle emergency situations with employees or patrons and contact supervisor and the appropriate authorities when necessary and according to established procedures.
- Must be able to take initiative in problem solving in the course of carrying out duties and responsibilities.
- Promotes and models courteous, respectful, and timely communication in all situations.
- Pursues transparency and openness whenever appropriate.
- Gives and welcomes constructive, respectful feedback while building a positive team spirit.
- Writes and speaks clearly, courteously, and effectively.
- Listens actively and well.
- Keeps informed of current developments in the library field by attending workshops, conferences, and professional meetings, and by reading current literature.
- Cultivates skills in collaboration and leadership and effective project management.
- Stays abreast of library policies and procedures.
An essential function of this position is consistent and punctual attendance.
- Bachelor's Degree from a four-year college or university
- In lieu of a degree will consider a combination of related education, training and experience
- Exemplary customer service skills.
- Ability to read and interpret policies and procedures accurately.
- Strong communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to effectively present information to patrons and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to organize, multitask, and be detail-oriented.
- Strong comfort level with technology and with learning new technologies.
- A focus on teamwork, collaboration, support, and flexibility.
- Fluent in English and Spanish.
- Experience with programming for all ages.
Benefit package: medical, dental, vision, life, sick leave, vacation leave, retirement through State of Washington
January 16, 2019 - 4:00 p.m.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk, sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance on a stool. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.