is a NYC-based, NEA-backed tech startup that is building a better internet for shoppers. We do this with machine learning technology that rewires links at massive scale so that:
- Advertisers unlock a $25B monopoly by converting Amazon’s static link empire into a competitive CPC marketplace
- Publishers get paid like Google rather than like a coupon site. Narrativ boosts yield 4X on link inventory with competitive bidding in content.
- Consumers find what they want at the best prices online and will never land on an out of stock or 404 page.
With more than one billion links rewired, Narrativ partners include Conde Nast, New York Magazine, Ulta Beauty and Nordstrom. We launched out of stealth in August 2017 and are on pace to deliver $600M in advertiser revenue in 2018. In June 2018, The World Economic Forum honored Narrativ as a Technology Pioneer for our commitment to digital sustainability.
At Narrativ, we believe in a dual track progression for Engineers- with opportunities to advance in people management or technical contributions. This role is the first level of people management. As such, you will be a member of one of our engineering teams, and spend 70% of your time contributing high quality code to our systems. The other 30% will be spent on management tasks like coaching and mentoring team members, organizing task lists, and communicating with the rest of the organization to keep everyone moving in the same direction. You’ll be primarily responsible for ensuring that your team members have the autonomy, mastery, and purpose that they require to contribute at the top of their game and expand their skill sets to get to the next level.
At the same time, you’ll be working on a cool system solving real problems for real customers. We serve SmartLinks on some of the biggest publishers in the world, and our systems have to operate at that kind of scale with little latency and no downtime. We embrace the philosophies of DevOps, and invest significant resources in automation and testing so that we can safely deploy code twenty times a day without the fear of wondering what is going to happen. Come join us and help us continue to improve our team!
Core Responsibilities Include:
- Develop business-impacting features by writing clean, efficient code [Python, JS]
- Ensure quality by writing thorough unit, integration, and system level automated testing
- Design and deploy automated self-healing infrastructure [Terraform, AWS]
- Implement/maintain automated system monitoring
- Support and administer a variety of stateful systems including Redshift, MySql, PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch, and Redis
- Troubleshoot and resolve system outages; adjust systems for performance issues
- Continually work to improve team capabilities with training, documentation, code reviews, pair programming, and collaboration
- Mentor and supervise 4-6 individual contributors
- Communicate team status and requirements to the rest of the organization
- Participate in the engineering planning process
- 4+ years building backend systems in Python
- Ability to work independently on feature level tasks
- Motivation to achieve results in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Exceptional level of organization and strong attention to detail
- Strong communication skills and drive to improve
- Previous experience leading successful development teams a plus
- We offer incredibly competitive salaries and cover 100% of health, dental and vision.
- We are challenging monopolies and architecting a new business model for media- the work you do here will have meaning
- We are growing rapidly without throwing cash out the window.
- We have weekly happy hours, monthly company outings and our Slack meme game is the best in the business
- We are committed to making a societal impact by building sustainable technology to #EndThe404 and open-sourcing many of our projects to contribute to the broader digital community.