At Shyft, we are changing the future for shift workers around the globe. We are a product-centered company that helps teams manage shifts, share schedules and communicate with each other all in one beautiful and easy to use app. Teams across all industries depend on Shyft every day to help make their work lives simpler, more productive and more flexible. As this young industry has grown, this has transformed into a huge responsibility and we don't take it lightly.
Our team is a group of passionate creators, innovators, builders and leaders. We take pride in the work that we do, and share in each others successes - that means that we make it a point of emphasis to trust and empower our colleagues to reach their goals, both professionally and personally. Our loft-style office offers an open and collaborative workspace that perfectly complements our culture, and is centrally located in the Lower Queen Anne neighborhood of Seattle just one block away from the water. We offer competitive benefits and perks to all employees who decide to join us on our journey to change the future of shift workers.
We are a small company growing at a very fast pace, so your code will shape our product and you will make a significant impact in improving the experience of our users. We value agile development with a mind on the future. As we're building out our codebase, we're at a critical juncture in our company where we need to consider fast feature development along with sustainability, flexibility, and durability.
We are looking for a motivated back-end engineer to help improve our product, your primary focus would be providing support to engineering, customer success, and marketing to create systems for user engagement, and improve the product by investigating issues in the system and propose technical solutions. A general understanding of backend, mobile and front-end technologies is needed since you'll be diving into all areas of the product to form a clear picture of the entire system is developed.
- Identify and investigate product issues in backend applications, communicate with the mobile and front-end team to create technical solutions
- Develop reusable libraries and frameworks to support customer success and marketing initiatives
- Take product requirements and create APIs for use by the front-end
- Follow Test-Driven-Development practices and develop QA frameworks
- Optimization of the backend application for maximum speed and scalability
- Proficient knowledge of back-end framework Ruby on Rails
- Proficient knowledge of PostgreSQL database and SQL
- Proficient knowledge of RESTful API design and implementation
- Experience in data migration, transformation, and maintenance
- Experience in the setup and administration of backup systems
- Experience with automated testing frameworks and unit testing
- Knowledge in hosting environment management, including database administration and application scaling to support load changes
- Understanding of accessibility and security compliance
- Understanding of user authentication and authorization among multiple systems, servers, and environments
- Ability to integrate multiple data sources and databases into one system
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git
- Initiative for continued learning and exploration, a forever student
Nice to haves
- Experience with native iOS development using objective-c
- Experience with native Android development using Java
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related field
What We Offer:
- Fun, collaborative environment
- Competitive compensation and benefits package
- Great Benefits package including 100% medical, dental, and vision insurance and 50% for eligible partners and dependents
- Competitive Family Leave policy and flexible return to work program
- Wellness room available to anyone
- Generous PTO and 10 paid holidays
- Flexible Work From Home policy
- 401k Plan
- Stock options
- Commuter benefits
- Fully stocked kitchens, with coffee, soda, and snacks
- Regular team activities, like quiz nights, holiday parties, Shyft Stories, happy hours and more
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace is core to Shyft's values. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. At Shyft no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines. Shyft is a team that loves to work hard and get Shyft done!